Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I don't understand this code

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Twiztid78

Twiztid78

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:25 PM

what does *:* mean after UDP [fe80::a9b3:4dbf:a5ea:12f3%17]:1900 *:*

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:55 PM

*.* generally means search everything in the selected directory within search or command prompt

* is a wild card so *.jpg will return any and all .jpg

where as *.* will return any files in directory

even test.* will return any files titled test

Edited by TheTripleDeuce, 06 June 2016 - 08:59 PM.

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:14 PM

What is context of question? Where are you seeing code? UDP 1900 is UPnP so maybe SIP wildcard?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:18 PM

Looks like the output is from netstat -ano in the command prompt. *.* is under the foreign address column. I think it means it's looking for any address and any port, though I'm not so sure about that.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:47 PM

Note that it is star-colon-star. I think it might mean "all data".
Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:08 PM

FYI that is a ip version six [ipv6] address followed by a port number.

Usually [ and I am guessing here] you are talking about a port check result or a ping/tracert result

Means icmp response has been set to be unresponsive.

look up icmp for more info

#7 Twiztid78

Twiztid78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:15 PM

I did get the code from netstat -ano. I tried to look it up but I have had no luck. There was another one just like it below it as well, but instead of the 1900 it said 49685 for the PID. I've been checking my network a lot lately. I've become a little paranoid. I was seeing a girl and her brother is a network administrator, and I was convinced she was tracking my data. We recently broke up, so now I'm even more paranoid.

Edited by Twiztid78, 06 June 2016 - 11:18 PM.

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:55 PM

Network admins are not all powerful.  That *.* is the foreign address and with UDP [broadcast] there is no specific address.

Nothing to concern yourself about. 

Make sure your devices firewall is uptodate and set to notify you of outgoing traffic [as in a program calling home]

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:39 PM

I did get the code from netstat -ano. I tried to look it up but I have had no luck. There was another one just like it below it as well, but instead of the 1900 it said 49685 for the PID. I've been checking my network a lot lately. I've become a little paranoid. I was seeing a girl and her brother is a network administrator, and I was convinced she was tracking my data. We recently broke up, so now I'm even more paranoid.

If concerned, the 3 things I would do is make sure remote access is disabled on the router, change the router's(not Wifi) password, and disable UPnP if you don't use it. Anyone who goes out of their way to tell you their a network admin is noob at best or IT for their local Burger King. Safe>Sorry

#10 Twiztid78

Twiztid78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. I've already got my network locked down. I always change the admin password immediately, and I actually reset it sometimes and redo the settings. Remote log in is turned off. I also have it set up for Mac filtering, only allowing the addresses that I enter. What is UPnP? I'm not sure if I use it?

Network admins are not all powerful.  That *.* is the foreign address and with UDP [broadcast] there is no specific address.

Nothing to concern yourself about. 

Make sure your devices firewall is uptodate and set to notify you of outgoing traffic [as in a program calling home]

How do you set up notifications for outgoing traffic? I have mcafee which lets me decide which programs can call out. Is that what you're referring to?

Edited by Twiztid78, 07 June 2016 - 08:26 PM.

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:14 AM

Yep. Usually there is a configuration item that does a pop up alert if a unregistered program starts to call/request out.

#12 Twiztid78

Twiztid78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:22 AM

Is the configuration in the modem? I don't receive emails, I just get the popup from McAfee. I actually uninstalled it though because it was blocking a Windows update a few days ago.

#13 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:42 AM

configure McAfee.  if you are concerned about monitoring you want to watch/be alerted to what is outgoing.

#14 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:45 AM

Mcafee...ick. Why do you use that? Come free with your PC or ISP?

#15 Twiztid78

Twiztid78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:52 AM

Yes. McAfee was complimentary. I have it for a year. Not sure if I want to reinastall though. My laptop seems to run better without it. What do you recommend as an anti virus/malware program to use? I have been using Windows defender ever since my last update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users