Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Remove Device from Dolphin

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 bamashooter

bamashooter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:37 PM

I have Kubuntu 14.04. I plugged my external hard drive into my laptop. Evidently it created 2 drives named New Volume. One is good to go, I can open files from it, etc. The other seems dead and doesn't offer the "safely remove" option. If I left click on it, the following msg appears atop Dolphin:

An error occurred while accessing 'New Volume', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sda6 at /media/richard/New Volume: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dm ask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda6" "/media/richard/New Volume"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Failed to mount '/dev/sda6': Operation not permitted The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume read-only with the 'ro' mount option. 

I can remove the "good" one and the "bad" one remains. How do I remove it? Even after I do a hard boot it's still there in Dolphin. I found the following in another forum when googling for a solution: 

Will this work?

Use umount with Force option. if your device is /dev/sda6, use:
sudo umount -f /dev/sda6

Here it is in its entirety: http://askubuntu.com/questions/692633/unable-to-safely-remove-usb-external-hard-drive

Edited by bamashooter, 06 June 2016 - 05:39 PM.

Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
HP15 --f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10 / 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:33 PM

This thread is a near duplicate of a thread you started on the Kubuntu forum.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?70318-Can-t-Remove-Drive

We try to discourage people from asking the same question on different forums.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:56 PM

Do you have "Fast Boot" Enabled in Windows 10?  It might fix this if it is set to "Disable".

"Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume read-only with the 'ro' mount option." 

Edited by pcpunk, 06 June 2016 - 07:01 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:58 PM

This thread is a near duplicate of a thread you started on the Kubuntu forum.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?70318-Can-t-Remove-Drive

We try to discourage people from asking the same question on different forums.

I understand however when I don't get what I consider a timely response, I see no harm.

HP15 --f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10 / 64-bit

#5 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:00 PM

Do you have "Fast Boot" Enabled in Windows 10?

"Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume read-only with the 'ro' mount option." 

No. I remember disabling "fast boot" in Windows 10 when I was installing Kubuntu.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:25 PM

Hibernate also? 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:41 PM

I'm in 10 at the moment. Sleep is disabled and no hibernate. My understanding is if fast startup is disable, so goes hibernate.

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,482 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:55 AM

I understand however when I don't get what I consider a timely response, I see no harm.

As both threads were posted on the same day, I would consider revising what you consider to be "a timely response" bearing in mind that the people you are asking for help from offer advice on a purely voluntary basis, and the forums you use are message boards, and not chat rooms.

Asking for advice on the same issue on different forums can cause confusion both for those seeking and offering help. (Please bear in mind that any thread you start is also intended to help others.) For instance, it is unclear on this forum that you have already disconnected the device from your computer, and I would not have known that had I not read your thread on the other forum.

Since you started the thread on the other forum prior to starting this thread, I have suggested to the moderators here that this thread be closed.

Edited by Al1000, 07 June 2016 - 01:56 AM.

#9 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 803 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:13 AM

The problem with having multiple topics open on the same subject, is that the people helping you on one forum have no idea what advice you're being given on another, as such, they may give you advice that in and of itself is harmless, but which when combined with other actions (which advisors on the other forum may have given you) could be damaging to your machine.

With a single topic, everyone can see what advice you have been given, and can avoid such a scenario.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:47 AM

I have suggested to the moderators here that this thread be closed.

I agree

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:50 AM

Please...pursue (with patience) your topic at the Kubuntu website.

Asking multiple persons at different forums...about any issue...is apt to lead to various opinions, comments by passersby, and such...that result in confusion and which will just create a state of confusion rather than providing "the answer" to a given situation.