Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why are flash drives suddenly so extremely cheap?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:30 PM

I've been noticing a trend in the prices of flash drives going way, way down lately.  Here's one example where the price is only a small fraction of what it used to be: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-cruzer-glide-64gb-usb-2-0-flash-drive-black/3495128.p?id=1218412705019 

It's not just Best Buy either.  Here's a page where Officedepot is selling many of them at well under half price: http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/portable-flash-drives/N=5+509664/

I have a theory, but not sure if it's true.  Could they be trying to get rid of 2.0 flash drives because 3.0 is newer?  Or maybe flash drives in general are now much less popular for some reason?  Or are the ones I've pointed out just cheap junky ones?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:47 PM

I believe your theory is correct. USB 2.0 is being surpassed by USB 3.0 which is much faster.

#3 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:55 PM

I believe your theory is correct. USB 2.0 is being surpassed by USB 3.0 which is much faster.

Hmmm.  Maybe it'd be a good idea then to scoop up some of the 2.0 ones before they're gone!  I was thinking of just getting one of those (maybe a 64GB) instead of trying to get an adaptor for my former laptop's hard drive.  It sure would be simpler and cost about the same.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:57 PM

I just got a USB 3.0 PNY 32GB flash drive from Best Buy for $10. You would still need the adapter to pull any data off your old hard drive.

#5 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:03 PM

I just got a USB 3.0 PNY 32GB flash drive from Best Buy for $10. You would still need the adapter to pull any data off your old hard drive.

When I was at BB yesterday, I couldn't even find the flash drives.  I was so frustrated with other things that I didn't even want to bother asking anyone about it.  Then I walked over to OfficeMax and found some there real cheap.  Probably should've gotten one while I was there.  I wonder if BB sold out.

As for my hard drive issue, I do have my files backed up on a 16GB flash drive right now, so they won't be lost if I don't get a SATA adaptor.  In fact, I just got through burning those files to a few DVD disks, so now I have a second copy of them.  Getting the files on a second location was just one reason for wanting the SATA adaptor.  Having access to the hard drive for its 250GB of space for backing up a future computer was another.  The hard drive is newer than the laptop was because my laptop's original hard drive died and I bought this 250GB one at Best Buy to replace it for $45.  It's probably good, so I'd just hate to see it go to waste.  I'd also hate to spend too much more money on it though too.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:09 PM

I got the last one on a Monday. I think the sale started on Sunday. Always good to have your important data backed up to two locations, one being offsite if the data is absolutely critical.

Ebay has some 2.5 enclosures for pretty cheap. USB  2.0 being cheaper than USB 3.0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-USB-2-0-SATA-2-5-Hard-Drive-Disk-HDD-External-Enclosure-Case-Box-Laptop-/361396265494?hash=item5424e56216:g:G9cAAOSwKIpWEook

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminium-2-5-USB-3-0-SATA-HDD-Hard-Drive-Disk-External-Case-Enclosure-Silver-/400923091069?hash=item5d58e0e07d:g:sDEAAOSwrklVXCJh

#7 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:53 AM

Prices always drop on technology over time. It's a matter of supply and demand really. The technology is advancing, it's now cheap and easy to make. One thing to keep in mind: a thumb drive, while it is flash memory, doesn't contain the robust controller and EDC that a solid state HDD has, so I wouldn't trust data long term to a thumb drive, especially if it gets used a lot. I've had many of them go bad on me, or corrupt the data. File or data transfer is all I trust them for these days.

#8 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:52 PM

Prices always drop on technology over time. It's a matter of supply and demand really. The technology is advancing, it's now cheap and easy to make. One thing to keep in mind: a thumb drive, while it is flash memory, doesn't contain the robust controller and EDC that a solid state HDD has, so I wouldn't trust data long term to a thumb drive, especially if it gets used a lot. I've had many of them go bad on me, or corrupt the data. File or data transfer is all I trust them for these days.

I understand prices going down as technology gets better, but the thing with the flashdrives is that it happened so suddenly.  A 16 GB drive normally being $17.99 and being on sale for $5.99 is quite a drop, and it's that way across the board, and at every store.  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/computer-accessories/usb-flash-drives/abcat0504010.c?id=abcat0504010  Seems something happened, and it was sudden.

#9 Ridernyc

Ridernyc

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:08 PM

I think they have greatly ramped up production.

You can find dirt cheap ones now directly from China that are clearly ones that did not pass QC.  Some batches work okay, some batches have a 100% failure rate. 

Also pricing will be totally odd you can find branded legitimate bundle pairs that are cheaper then one drive separately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users