Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 whittwhitt

whittwhitt

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:26 PM

I noticed upon using my laptop this morning it has started having problems on the keypad side of the keyboard. It's either double pressing or referencing a letter key. Some examples would be the "Enter" key on the keypad is now "qe", 1 is 131 or sometimes 11, 2 is zc or sometimes zc2, 9 is an indent, and 7 turns caps lock on and also brings up "Windows Help and Support".

I haven't cleaned the inside of the laptop since getting it a year ago and nothing has spilled on the laptop since I bought it.

I was thinking I'd need to clean the inside to fix it but do you guys think the whole keyboard needs to be replaced (since it's referencing keys nowhere near the button pressed) or a simple clean should do the trick?

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:11 PM

What is the make and model of the laptop?

What operating system are you running?

Edited by dc3, 06 June 2016 - 02:16 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 whittwhitt

whittwhitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:14 PM

What is the make and model of the laptop?

What operating system are you running?

HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC

Windows 8.1

*** Actually I just checked again and the problem is fixed (???). All I did was turn the computer off for a few hours while I was out of the house. Came back and now it works. Perplexed, but happy.

Do you think it's a precursor to a bigger issue or it was just temporary confusion inside the laptop/one time thing? I'm going to go ahead and clean it regardless.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:27 AM

Glad to here it's resolved.  This could have been something as simple as the Num Lock being on.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users