Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

privacy in browsing with virtual machine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ScottoD

ScottoD

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:17 PM

using a windows 10 work laptop that may or may not have security software that monitors browsing - however urls are logged when connecting to work network

if a browser is launched within a virtual machine on the laptop and connected to a non-work personal internet connection, should that be a likely way to browse privately?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:19 PM

if a browser is launched within a virtual machine on the laptop and connected to a non-work personal internet connection, should that be a likely way to browse privately?

How would you connect to that network in the first place, from your work network?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 ScottoD

ScottoD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:00 PM

How would you connect to that network in the first place, from your work network?

I will either connect to internet via:

A.  Phone hotspot

B. Xfinity hotspotp

The laptop has security software that is antivirus and a script that monitors installed apps.   I am not sure if browsing is tracked other than through the company's internet connectioon.   But just to be sure I figured I would browse through vm and connect to one of the hotspots I listed

Edited by jmsnyc, 06 June 2016 - 02:01 PM.

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:20 PM

My advice, use your own personal devices to do... well... personal things on. If your IT department/security guys are up to par, then odds are you won't be able to even install any virtual applications anyway. They might have even disabled the virtual settings in the bios. So you probably won't be able to do what you want anyway.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 JasmineJasmine

JasmineJasmine

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:19 AM

A highly anonymous Proxy like DIRTCHEAP can also help -- even if you use VPN. Even the VPN software will not know who you are if you pass through this kind of proxy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users