Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wi-fi service can't start after clean Windows 10 install

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dvd56

dvd56

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:28 AM

My Wi-fi Driver service won't start even after a clean install of Windows 10, actualy immediately after the install finishes it works, but as soon as Windows installs drivers (Video, Card Reader, etc.), updates and I restart the service can't start (This device cannot start. (Code 10) {Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful.).
The Ethernet is working, and I don't have a VPN service installed.

I have to mention that I installed WIndows 7 and the Wi-fi works, I tried to update Windows 7 to WIndows 10 and after updates/driver install it still won't start the service. Now I have a clean install and Windows Update says that Windows is up to date.

Any help/tip on how to solve this issue would be greatly apreciated.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 June 2016 - 09:34 AM.
HJT log deleted, topic moved from Windows 10 Support to Networking. HJT logs are allowed only in Malware Removal Logs forum. If a malware check needs to be done, you will be directed to one of the malware removal sections.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:37 AM

Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to your Network Devices in Device Manager. It's possible there are no Windows 10 drivers for your wireless adapter, especially if it works in Windows 7. Also some wifi chipsets don't play well with Windows 10.

If you do have a yellow exclamation mark right click the device and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and paste the first line into your next post.

What is the make and model of the computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 June 2016 - 09:38 AM.

#3 dvd56

dvd56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:23 AM

Yes, it does have an exclamation mark.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4229&SUBSYS_11018086&REV_61

Acer Aspire 5920G Intel Core 2 Duo T7300, 4 Gb RAM, Wifi chipset: Intel 4965AGN

Edited by dvd56, 06 June 2016 - 10:24 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:32 AM

Unfortunately, I could not find any Windows 10 drivers for that intel chipset. If you plan on staying with Windows 10 I recommend a Wifi dongle such as this one.

http://www.tp-link.com/il/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN725N.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TP-LINK-TL-WN725N-Nano-Wireless-N150-Adapter-150Mbps-IEEE-802-11b-g-n-WEP-WP-/301380784300?hash=item462bb1d0ac:g:ceIAAOSw-W5Uum5D&_trksid=p2349526.m3874.l7936

According to tplink the adapter is Window 10 compatible

http://www.tp-link.com/en/article-15587.html

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:39 AM

Windows 10 Upgrade on the Acer Support site has a list of which Acer products have driver support for the Windows 10 upgrade.

Your model is not on the list.

I did search the site for your model and there are no drivers for Windows 10 for it.

Right now it looks as if your only option is a USB network adapter as suggested by JohnC_21.

#6 dvd56

dvd56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:44 AM

Ok, but, I had Windows 10 until one week ago on this laptop and the Wi-fi worked just fine (it was an upgrade from Windows 7). I wanted to do a clean install and this happened...

And even if I try to install Windows 7 and then upgrade, it still won't work.

Another thing: the driver is installed and Windows says it's updated.

Edited by dvd56, 06 June 2016 - 11:48 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:10 PM

If Windows says the driver was installed and updated you would not have a yellow exclamation mark next to your wireless adapter. Windows 10 has had some serious issues with wifi. People report it works fine for awhile and then just stops. You may want to check this Windows 10 thread on your chipset. See some of the possible solutions before trying the below steps.

See if manually looking for the driver works. Right click the intel wireless device with the yellow exclamation mark and update the driver automatically. If that does not work, right click the device and select Uninstall. Click the top of the hardware tree, your PC. Select Action > Scan for new hardware. Do this in an admin account.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:15 PM

The Windows 10 update plays some games with the drivers when it updates your system - so the earlier drivers are left in place.

You "may" be able to make it work by:

- downloading the W7 version from here:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22116/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7-?product=50566

- then try running the installer in compatibility mode for W7.  To do this, right click on the installer and select "Properties", then select the Compatibility tab.
Put a checkmark in the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select Windows 7 in the dropdown box

Also put a checkmark in the box that says "Run this program as an administrator"

Then click on OK to dismiss the WIndow, then double click on the file to launch the installer.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:26 PM

If usasma's suggestion works for you I would set Windows 10 to not update drivers.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

#10 dvd56

dvd56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:58 PM

Unfortunately even with the Windows 7 driver it won't work (in compatibility and with Admin). The driver can't be started, it doesn't even show the adapter in Network Connections. I understand it's not supported anymore, but why did it work until now, and why does it work until Windows installs the Video driver and updates and then suddenly the adapter is not even recognized? Maybe if I reinstall Windows (for the "n"th time) and manually install all the drivers without letting Windows update them?

I've attached some photos.

http://postimg.org/image/j730dzr0r/

http://postimg.org/image/48g05tmkr/

http://postimg.org/image/htbdiorrf/

http://postimg.org/image/vhrdkbnnv/

Edited by dvd56, 06 June 2016 - 01:01 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:49 PM

I would save yourself some heartache and get a USB dongle as I linked to. But, if your willing to go for another reinstall, give it a go. Just remember to disable driver updates after the install.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:06 PM

Windows 10 uses "shims" to make the drivers work during the update.

If you want the driver installed, the only way I know of is to reinstall W7, then update to W10 again.

It seems that you've already tried the stuff above, so I don't know of any other way to fix it.

I've seen the efforts that Microsoft goes through to make things backwards compatible - and it's truly amazing!
But there's some stuff that they just can't/won't do - and unfortunately, there's no way to tell why.

As this is Intel hardware, I'd strongly suspect that there's a problem with it (software or hardware wise) that's can't be overcome by the folks working on backwards compatibility.

I agree w/JohnC_21 - get a dongle

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 dvd56

dvd56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

Ok, I'll try another reinstall and if I still can't get it to work i'll buy a dongle.

Thank you for all the help and your patience.

#14 CARLA212

CARLA212

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:21 PM

Reinstall windows 10 from an official iso...else try to turn off/on wifi adapter and check if it's fixed or watch this video tutorial:  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users