Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unplugging Certain USB Drive Causes BSOD

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 dj505

dj505

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:26 AM

Hi all, I've been having this weird problem and this site looked like a good place to ask about it because of the support I've seen. So wooooo first post~!
Anyway, whenever I unplug one certain flash drive (a Kingston DataTraveller SE9) my laptop bluescreens with the error "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED". I can't figure out why for the life of me! I did, however, figure out that the flash drive is recognized as a local disk and not a removable one. This issue only applies to my laptop, that's it; the drive works perfectly fine on any other computer. I can still read and write to it no problem. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by dj505, 06 June 2016 - 08:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:47 AM

Some USB flash drives act like a hard drive which Windows lists as local disk instead of removable. You will notice that when you delete anything on the USB drive labeled local the deleted items go to the recycle bin. On a USB flash drive labeled removable the items are not sent to the recycle bin.

Download USBdeview. Run the program Highlight any listing for Kingston DataTravler and press the red X to remove. Reboot the computer and attach the Kingston again. Do you get the error?

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

#3 dj505

dj505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:52 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!

Computer doesn't bluescreen anymore, but when I unplug the drive the computer thinks it's still plugged in.

Edited by dj505, 06 June 2016 - 09:21 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:09 PM

Look for hidden devices in Device Manager and see if you can spot the Data Traveler there.

If so, right click and uninstall it (making sure the drive isn't plugged in).

Then reboot (just a caution on my part) and see if it works properly now.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dj505

dj505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:39 PM

It just reinstalls the same driver as before and still has the same issues... I tried installing a new driver, and windows said I was already using the best one for the device. Though I suppose I could compare the driver with one on another computer that works then try installing that...

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,668 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:56 PM

When you disconnect the flash drive you tell Windows to safely eject before physically removing it, correct?

See this page. Select Performance. But you must eject or unmount the flash drive before physically pulling it from the port or you have the chance of corrupting your data. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/118546/htg-explains-do-you-really-need-to-safely-remove-usb-sticks/

#7 dj505

dj505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:48 PM

Since the laptop thinks it's a system disk, there's no safe eject button, or Ven an eject option whatsoever. I usually safely eject drives when I can, though.

I think this while thing started when I tried putting Linux on the drive, which may have done something. Probably changed it to bootable, but I can't repartition it.

Edited by dj505, 06 June 2016 - 01:50 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,668 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:55 PM

That is strange. I have a USB flash drive, Sandisk, that acts like a hard drive and Windows 7 will let me eject the drive. Is your setting on Performance in the link I posted?

You can reformat it after backing up the data on the flash drive. Use Partition Wizard, delete all partitions, then create a Primary NTFS partition.

#9 dj505

dj505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:57 PM

Should be on quick removal last I checked, but it might have switched. I'll check later when I get a chance, and I'll try reformatting and repartitioning like you suggested.

Edit: The policies tab doesn't even show up under properties. Did windows 10 change the location of the setting or something?

Edited by dj505, 06 June 2016 - 01:58 PM.

#10 dj505

dj505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:01 PM

Sorry for bumping and double posting, but I've fixed the issue. Sort of. I just backed up all the data and put it on a new flash drive, because there's no possible way I could find to fix this issue. Sorry if anyone else if having this, but I recommend just getting a new drive.
Sorry for bumping and double posting, but I've fixed the issue. Sort of. I just backed up all the data and put it on a new flash drive, because there's no possible way I could find to fix this issue. Sorry if anyone else if having this, but I recommend just getting a new drive.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,668 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for posting the update. Sometimes it's best to cut your losses and do what you did. USB flash drives are cheap enough now. I am not sure why you don't have a policies tab in Windows 10.I am not familiar enough with Windows 10. As you can see here it does exist.

#12 dj505

dj505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:43 PM

Another update (sorry for bumping);
I installed a bootable copy of Linux on a different USB drive by a different company, and now it's being recognized as a local disk and is bluescreening my laptop like that last one. I'm assuming it's either a filesystem issue or a formatting issue.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,668 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:06 PM

What did you use to create the bootable flash drive. I have had success with Rufus. If this is Blue Screening in Windows then I would have to think it's a Windows 10 issue. Does it blue screen when attached to another computer?

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:09 AM

2 different flash drives cause problems with your system.

Whats the chance that both are bad?

Check:

- other ports on the computer to see if the work there (generally those on the other side of the computer will be on a different connection/controller).

- look in the ports and see if they are damaged.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 dj505

dj505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:35 AM

Haven't tested nother computer yet, but the drive itself worked 100% fine before I stuck Linux on it (Ubuntu Server 14.04.5 I think). I'll test it on another computer when I get a chance. At this point, I'm pretty sure the problem is caused by writing Linux to it and changing some kind of flag on the device.

All the ports work the same, each one causing the BSOD. I tried formatting the drive (a full format through disk management) but after it reached 100%, it looped back to the beginning,and kept doing so all night. Now I can't format it normally because Windows says it's being used by another process though nothing is running.

Edited by dj505, 15 June 2016 - 07:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users