Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

zfsendtotarget=CLSID\{ 888DCA60-FC0A-11CF-8F0F-00C04FD7D062}

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:25 AM

Hi all,

Wasn't sure were to put this so,it's here (not really support)

And the title is the way it is for googles sake (only 359 results at the moment) in case somebody needs to read this post.

To the story, had an accented caller on my land line this morning from some tech company (yes I know)

Apparently I was Killing the internet with my computer,so after minutes of fun they hung up (you gotta love em, should have lasted longer)

The technique was interesting open a command prompt and type in assoc and at the bottom you get

zfsendtotarget=CLSID\{ 888DCA60-FC0A-11CF-8F0F-00C04FD7D062}

And they knew this verbatim and called it Computer License Security I D (quite convincing if you don't play with the registry a lot)

So the question is this, could somebody run the assoc (file association BTW) on a Windows 10 machine for me and see if it's the same (no access to 10 machine and google searches are too old)

BTW the switch is for right click context menu "send to compressed folder"

Thanks Hedge

Edit:- Forgot to add this, this CLSID goes back quite a long way OS wise (just wondered how long these scammers had left if it's different on 10, if it's the same this could go on for a while)   

Edited by hedgeley, 06 June 2016 - 07:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

Yes mine is the same.

#3 hedgeley

hedgeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:01 AM

Thanks chatup,

That's worrying! I know most of us don't fall for this, but it's the few that do that keep them in business (sad they have to resort to this)

Thanks again

Hedge 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users