Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer does not allow max resolution and frequent freezes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bill1337

bill1337

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:00 PM

hello, I recently bought a gaming computer that supports 4k resolution. Everything went fine for the first few weeks (4k video games and videos look amazing), however recently I have been having some problems. When i start up the computer, it will often completely freeze up once i start a game, or even when i attempt to open up google chrome. Normally, leaving the computer on for 15 mins before starting anything would fix the problem and prevent the freezing, but it is still an annoyance for me.

Yesterday, when I attempted to start up the computer after it had froze on me, the display was only showing 640X800, or whatever the lowest resolution is. I went to display settings and it would not allow me to adjust the resolution. I managed to fix this by going to the device manager and updating one of the video drivers.

Now (after a few startup freezes once again), the computer will not go any higher than 2560X1440, and not the 3860X2860, or whatever the native 4k resolution is. I launched a few 4k videos I had downloaded on my pc and they seemed to work with no issue. however, when I attempt to start a game, the game will only allow 2560x1440.

the task manager is telling me all the video drivers are up to date, and I tried a system restore to no avail.

for reference, my video card is: PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core Radeon R9 390 DirectX 12 AXR9 390 II 16GBD5 16GB (8GB x 2) 1024 (512 x 2)-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support ATX Video Card (no idea what any of that means)

also, for whatever reason, I haven't been able to access the radeon settings menu, where I could access the crossfire settings that would allow me to switch between using one, or two, of the video cards simultaneously

My computer savvy friend who built it for me told me to monitor the temperatures of the parts. He said never to let any of the temps reach over 80 degrees. Ive been checking and the video card has not reached a temperature of over 70 degrees so I don't believe temperature damage is the cause (at least I hope not, its a 700 dollar card)

any advice would be greatly appreciated. At least in the meantime I can still enjoy games in 2k hehe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bill1337

bill1337
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:53 PM

bump? pls halp. Been a couple days since i posted this on the forums. and the low resolution issue seems to have persisted. I managed to fix the problem temporarily by doing the earliest system restore i could do. However, the freezing issue i spoke of still happens often upon startup.

I've noticed that the computer gets "stuck" on the lowest resolution if i leave the pc running until the monitor goes into sleep mode. When it awakes from sleep mode, the computer will be stuck on 640x800. restarting can sometimes fix this issue, but sometimes i am forced to use a system restore to remedy the low resolution. A permanent fix would be much appreciated

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:47 PM

Have you already tried downloading and reinstalling the video drivers from the manufacturer?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:41 AM

What Roland said. Before you reinstall, make sure you completely uninstall the current drivers and all associated Catalyst software, reboot then reinstall it all from the beginning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users