Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer 'closing down to protect your computer'...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:13 PM

Evening, everybody. Got a small head-scratcher here.

I dual-boot. Well; I can't really say 'dual-boot'; what would be the expression for nine OS's on the same machine? Seven would be, what...septa-boot? Eight...octa-boot? Nine....well; never mind.

I run Windows XP Professional, and eight 'Puppies'. I've had the copy of XP Pro for several years, and I've lost track of the number of times I've re-installed it, when everything starts slowing down. Can't be bothered with doing all the investigation and repair guff; I know the symptoms by now, so it's quicker for me to re-install.....especially since I did a 'slipstreamed' SP3 disc quite some time ago. I re-install 2-3 times a year; the last occasion was back in March.

FYI, I also run the 'Deskman' Powertoy; multiple desktops, for those of you who might not be aware of what it does. I've got so used to virtual desktops in Linux, it got so I was lost without them every time I booted into XP..... 

This time round, everything has been behaving itself (!), when, around a fortnight ago, I started getting a hiccup with Windows Explorer. Every time I go into it, it's all good. I do what I need to do; upon exiting, however, the system is now freezing up for a short time (perhaps 60 seconds or so), followed by this message:-

'Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close to protect your computer. We are sorry for the inconvenience.' This disappears upon OK'ing it, but the system remains frozen for perhaps another 2 minutes.....then I get the same 'encountered a problem' message about the Dr. Watson Post-mortem debugger!

Is this a regular problem? I recall coming across this a long while ago, when I was running a copy of XP Home, back in 2004/5.....it was constantly doing it. Since switching to XP Pro a year or so later, I've not had the problem until now. I wonder if it's time to re-burn my slipstreamed XP SP3 disc...? It has had a fair bit of use.....

Any information, or suggestions, will be much appreciated. 

BTW; What exactly does the Dr. Watson Post-mortem debugger do.....write to the error logs?

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 June 2016 - 06:18 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:27 AM

Windows XP explorer is more buggy then later versions of Windows OS explorer it does crash more often run Sfc /scannow command to repair any damage Windows system files. Also damage media file can cause this issue when Windows try to render the thumbnail for the damage media file Windows Explorer may froze or close disable viewing thumbnails to see problem will get resolves if it does then you will need to find out which media file is damage.

• Open Control Panel. (Classic View)
  • Click on the System icon.
  • Click on the advanced system settings link.
  • Under Performance, click on the Settings button.
  • In the Visual Effects tab, uncheck "Show thumbnails instead of icons."

When the thumbnail view is enabled in Windows Explorer, it will generate thumbnails for your video files. If something goes wrong during this process, then Explorer may crash. Causes of failures can be corrupt media  files or buggy codec. Remove third party codec packs. Automatically diagnose and fix Internet Explorer or Windows applications when it freezes or stops responding caused by codecs when playing video files. Download Microsoft Fix it utility.

Buggy program extension can also make Windows Explorer crash or froze uninstall programs you installed before this issue started.

Edited by FreeBooter, 06 June 2016 - 11:28 AM.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:37 AM

Hiya, FreeBooter.

Thanks for the advice. I don't tend to use XP so often nowadays; I spend far more time playing with my Puppies, if the truth be told! However, it is both annoying and frustrating when this happens.....not to mention being a royal PITA, too.

I'll have a look at what you've suggested. TBH, I tend to just re-install from the slipstreamed SP3 disc when I do; I don't always remember to check all these extra things. (I know, bad Mike....slapped wrist!)  :lol:

I'll see what happens, and let you know how I get on. Thanks for the info; there's always something new to learn, when you're dealing with Redmond's products.....that particular one is an issue I've not come across before.

Cheers.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 06 June 2016 - 11:38 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:47 AM

Your are very welcome and good luck with resolving the issue.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users