Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing my boot drive SSD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WilliamP

WilliamP

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:24 PM

I have a home built computer. It has an Intel I7-2700K overclocked to 4.6 gh. It has Win. 7 64 bit. OS. I have 3 drives installed. C drive is the 256 gb SSD . I have a Photo Storage drive and a Back Up Drive. I plan to replace the C drive with a Samsung 850 Pro . The 850 Pro came with a migration disk. When I get that done I plan to replace the Photo Storage disk with a larger one. It is a regular hard drive.The questions I have is should I remove the Photo Storage and the Back up drive while migrating the data from the C drive to the 850 Pro?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:59 PM

Less drivers you have attached to computer when using hard drive tools, less chance for unpleasant surprises.

Migration disk shouldn't (not to say it doesn't) affect other hard drives. So while you may keep all drives when using migration disk, disconnecting all but needed drives is bit safer choice.

#3 WilliamP

WilliamP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:30 PM

Thank you. Is there a step by step tutorial for this? It is my wife's computer and I already killed it one time.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:46 AM

For migration tool https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/support-software/Data-Migration-with-Samsung-SSDs-699/

As for others, just remove extra drives before using that tool (unplug SATA or power cable is enough) and after using tool put them back.

#5 WilliamP

WilliamP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:17 AM

Thank you for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users