Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ProBook 4530s Fan constantly runs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bsprout

bsprout

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:18 PM

I have an HP ProBook 4530s that as soon as you hit the power button until you turn off the laptop the fan runs on what seems like a high speed.  I have replaced the thermal paste and cleaned the inside of the laptop but that did not fix the problem.  I replaced the hard drive about a year ago with a Crucial MX100 SSD drive and did not have the problem prior to that.  I'm not positive if that is the problem as it didn't happen all at once.  It just got progressively worse until it just constantly runs.  However, since installing the SSD drive I have not been able to leave the laptop running because it will eventually crash.  I'm not sure if it is overheating or what is going on.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might be able to try?  

Thank you

Cathy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:37 PM

When you cleaned it, did you blow the dirt out of the cooling fins?
If you didn't, get a can of dust-off/blow-off and, with the PC off, blow in through the vents on the left side. Its number 8 in the picture on this page: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02796853
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 bsprout

bsprout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:59 PM

Yes....I cleaned everything out when I opened it up to replace the thermal paste.  However, I just blew the side vents out (with canned air) just to be sure and it made no difference.  I don't really get why it comes on as soon as I hit the power button.  It's obviously not overheating at that point.   

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:34 AM

Every PC on the planet runs the cooling fan at full speed until the BIOS tests several components (interrupt controller, dma controller, 64KB of memory, etc.) and then it initializes the system and the fan slows down to its controlled speed.  This usually takes about one second.

If it never slows down, most PC's won't even post (output video) because something has failed.

I have only seen a few (maybe five PC's) where the fan or its controller was the problem; but, that is a possibility...

However; I would expect an Intel CPU to be in the 40 degree range when not stressed and to only climb to 80 if I was "busting its chops", hard.

What temps do you get if you are not stressing the PC?

Does the fan keep running fast if you let it sit in the BIOS (F10 before Windows starts)?

Does your BIOS have a Hardware Monitor or Health option which would show you what it thinks the temps are?

#5 bsprout

bsprout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:02 AM

Thank you for your response....guess I never noticed the fan running at start up before...probably because it slowed down like you said.  

It never slows down.  Always runs at high speed.  Can you recommend a program that gives you the CPU temp?  I've never monitored that before.  I use the laptop to access the internet (via Chrome), use Microsoft Word and I have an embroidery business that I sometimes run my embroidery (design software) on.  None of those should tax the system.  

I will check if the fan continues to run fast sitting in BIOS tonight.  I will also check to see if it has a Hardware Monitor or Health option.

Thank you!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:43 PM

If the fan is running full out from the startup of a cold boot I doubt this is heat related.

See if the BIOS has fan settings.

You could also try just setting the BIOS to its default settings.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 bsprout

bsprout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:11 PM

I had BIOS up for about 20 minutes and the fan continued to run on high the whole time(from cold boot).  I reset the BIOS to the default settings and this made no difference.  I did not see any fan settings.  Any other suggestions?

Thank you

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

Does your BIOS have a Hardware Monitor or Health option which would show you what it thinks the temps are? (Some do, some don't)

#9 bsprout

bsprout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:08 PM

Doesn't look like this laptop has Hardware Monitor or Health options

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users