Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange goings-on...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Blackstar57

Blackstar57

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:33 AM

Hello Folks; Couple weeks ago my computer start up slowed way down. When I got to log-in screen and entered my password I counted 30 seconds before my home screen appeared. This normally takes maybe one second. After about a week of this and numerous virus scans I received a few Windows updates and the problen went away. Seems like this was the culprit or a coincidence.

Another strange thing that is happenning is I will at times get a bunch of returned e-mails that I didn't send. Nothing in my outbox or sent folders but I get a bunch of adresses, some of which are in my addy book and some that aren't. This is what was in the body of the message I get... 

This is the mail system at host nagaragawalc.or.jp.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

Also, the Maintenance supervisor at work has received at 3 e-mails from me which I didn't send and he is not even in my address book. These e-mails had an attachment for him to click. All were deleted before opening.

I've scanned dozens of times with AVG Pro and Malwarebytes. Nothing is found.

I have a Speccy snap shot of my computer if you could use it for info to clean up my pc. Can't post it here probably for security reasons.

Glenn...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:28 AM

The sender may have guessed your email address. The sender may have scraped your email address from a website where you posted

it or used it to gain access to website. The fact that a supervisor received an email appearing to be sent by you could simply mean someone

else who has both your email addresses in one of their email address books has had their address book's contents stolen by malware. At one time

Facebook would steal the email addresses from address books of those who signed up and use those addresses to spam.

In other words, spammers can easily obfuscate sender's address. Receiving returned emails doesn't mean that your email address book was stolen

or that malware on your computer is responsible.

Was the above helpful to you?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:45 AM

Yes, it was helpful. I had thoughts that it was a 3rd party e-mail account that was linked between me and my supervisors account. I receive updates from our boiler chemical rep every couple months and the same e-mail is copied to my Super. I got a spam from the chem company a while back and just deleted it. Probably what the cause was.

The slow start up seems to be ok now. I ran a few clean-up tools I found here and they did find some spyware and adware.

Hoping this takes care of the glitches...

Thank you BC Advisor...

Glenn

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:41 PM

Good...what you really have to be careful of is opening attachments. Those can reek havoc and are used frequently to install ransom ware.

You're welcome...

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:25 PM

That's one thing I never do... open attachments... unless I know the person and am expecting an attachment.

Thanks again buddy215 :)

Glenn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users