Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Game won't install, suspect hard disk error / virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cmadaras

cmadaras

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:05 AM

Hey guys,

Recently I tried to install Final Fantasy X / X-2 on Steam on my Windows 7 tower computer. The download got to 100%, and then never could finish due to "Disk Write Error". Restarting Steam, my computer, and the download did nothing to help. After doing some research, I found that this was something wrong with the hard disk (apparently). I tried the Windows 7 "Disk Cleanup", but upon restart, it was met with the message that I'm sure you've all heard of, saying something like:

"Could not get direct access to volume.

[Due to] some recently installed software (program)" (Tell me if that was not clear enough and I can restart and write down the whole message to post here.)

So I did some more research, and deleted a bunch of programs (just cleaning up the computer of old crap), including Avast Antivirus (I had read that antivirus programs were somehow the root of this). I also have Norton Internet Security, but I can't remove that. The "Uninstall Programs" uninstall button does nothing. The Norton Removal Tool does nothing, only coming up with the error message "The file could not sign in" (slight paraphrase). And the folders won't delete from "Program Files", stating that they can't be deleted because they are in use. I think my Norton Internet Security is corrupted. When I click on in to run it, it just opens with strange, nonsense, full text box.

So removing Avast did nothing for the "Disk Cleanup" or the game download (at this point I am also actually just concerned with my computer not being infected). So, I re-installed Avast to do some scans. The Boot-Time Scan ran and took nearly a whole day, but it did seem to complete. It did remove some stuff, as I saw it doing when it was in process. However, I can still not run "Disk Cleanup" due to the same error. However, the Steam game download has changed. It still doesn't ever finish installing, though it gets to 100%, and then "finishes" the progress, such that it says on the "Manage Downloads" tab that it is 34.0gb / 34.0gb. But then it either gets stuck with the term "Allocating" or just "Installing". When I press "Play", it goes to a progress bar that says the game will start when ready, but the progress bar never fills up. The icon for steam on the Task Bar repeated has a sliver of green appear and disappear, as if it is trying to start (or finish) the download, but it is stopped by some sort of software barrier.

I was wondering if I perhaps needed to just do a factory restore (though I don't have the disk, so it will just be from restart). I heard that may or may not solve the problem, so I decided to consult this forum to see if somebody knows what the problem is and how it functions because doing something drastic like a factory restore (especially if it didn't even solve the problem). I tried to do as much work on this independently as I could before consulting you guys, including reading some of your other posts, but I can't seem to figure this out. If you could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much

Best Regards,

Chris

Edited by hamluis, 05 June 2016 - 09:40 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AII - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:18 AM

Warning!! When installing un-locker watch for the third party app offer.

GBGiFur.png

Download & Install Unlocker then everything tool.

Type Norton  in the Everything search window.

• Click Edit.
    • Select All.
    • Right Click Selected Items.
    • Choose Unlocker.
    • Choose Delete
    • Then Unlock All.
    • You may see a prompt to reboot.
    • If so then please reboot, to continue removing the files.

Run chkdsk /f /r from elevated command prompt.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:35 AM

Hopefully, thread starter has recent, current, full image or folder/file backups of all important data folders and files before this happened.  Backups might still be possible, though maybe problematic to make and verify.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 cmadaras

cmadaras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for the information. I did that whole process and was able to delete many of the files, however, 3 folders remain. 1 called "Norton" and 2 called "Norton Internet Security". When right-clicked on, there is no option to unlock it, or even scan. I can't open them, getting an error stating "Windows cannot access specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item." It does not have an option to open and administrator or anything like that. I am the administrator, so that wouldn't normally be an issue. Also, when I try to delete them, upon clicking "Delete", nothing happens at all. I feel like this must be a corruption / virus thing. Any ideas?

When I click "Open Path" it bring me into a Desktop System Folder titles "Chris" (My name) This is a default folder that came with the computer (or something like that). I didn't create this folder personally. In this folder "Chris", there are a bunch of other arbitrary folders and stuff. It doesn't show the Norton folders at all.

On "Everything" it says that the "Path" (or location, I assume) of the folders. They are as follows:

"Norton"   -    C:\$WINDOWS.~Q\DATA\ProgramData

"Norton Internet Security"   -    C:\$WINDOWS.~Q\DATA\ProgramFiles (x86)

"Norton Internet Security"   -    C:\$WINDOWS.~Q\DATA\ProgramData\Micr...

I can't expand the third one to get the full information. Also, I typed the address in the Start Menu Search and got nothing. There also is no "Norton Internet Security" folder in my actual Program Files (x86) folder. Any ideas of what to do?

Also, if anyone even just has an idea of what this actually is, I would also appreciate that information. Even if it is unsolvable, I would like to know as much as I can about the problem just to learn from it and possibly take it somewhere else for repair. Thanks again everyone for the help and quick responses.

Also, RolandJS, can you elaborate more on what you are talking about? I don't really understand what you mean.

Best,

Chris

Edited by cmadaras, 05 June 2016 - 09:37 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:28 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

If this computer has the recovery partition it would be simpler and faster just to reinstall the operating system from the recovery partition.  If you do have this partition, you need to back up all of your important data.  Using the recovery partition will return the operating system to the condition it was in when it first came out of the box.

You need to be aware that you should only have one antivirus program installed at any time.  I would suggest that the first thing you do is to uninstall one of the two antivirus programs.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Credit for this information goes to quietman7.

What RolandJS is referring to with a "full image" is usually a cloned image of the operating system.  But if it is infected or Windows has problems you don't want to use that image.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:22 PM

Also, did you run the check disk? Go ahead and run the norton removal tool now, I know you mentioned it not working, but if you run it now after the check disk then it may.

Please download Minitoolbox and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

Security Check Scan.

Download Security Check to your desktop, right click it run as administrator. When the program completes, the tool will automatically open a log file, please post that log here in your next post.

Adware Cleaner Scan.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

JRT Scan.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool and save it on your desktop.

• Shut down your anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click it and select Run as administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Please post the JRT log.
  •  

Adware Removal Tool Scan.

Download Adware removal tool to your desktop, right click the icon and select Run as Administrator.

LOr0Gd7.png

Hit Ok.

sYFsqHx.png

Hit next make sure to leave all items checked, for removal.

8NcZjGc.png

The Program will close all open programs to complete the removal, so save any work and hit OK. Then hit OK after the removal process is complete, thenOK again to finish up. Post log generated by tool.

ZHP Scan.

Please download Zhp Cleaner  to your desktop.  Right Click the icon and select run as administrator.

http://nicolascoolman.com/download/zhpcleaner

2. Once you have started the program, you will need to click the scanner button.

EgsT69u.png

The program will close all open browsers!

3. Once the scan is completed, the you will want to click the Repair button.

6QJjV50.png

At the end of the process you may be asked to reboot your machine. After you reboot a report will open on your desktop.

Copy and paste the report here in your next reply.

Zemana Scan

Run a full scan with Zemana AntiMalware!

Install and select deep scan.

jdmyscF.jpg

Remove any infections found.

Then click on the icon in the pic below.

DOLGyto.jpg

Double click on the scan log, copy and paste here in your reply

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 05 June 2016 - 01:35 PM.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:10 PM

"...What RolandJS is referring to with a "full image" is usually a cloned image of the operating system.  But if it is infected or Windows has problems you don't want to use that image..."  -- dc3

Correct.  And another definition of full image: simply a compressed copy of everything found inside of a partition.  OS and data Partitions are often called by many "c drive" and "d drive" respectively.  I hoping such were made BEFORE all of these problems, that led to this thread, happened.

Edited by RolandJS, 05 June 2016 - 02:10 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#8 cmadaras

cmadaras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:50 PM

Good Lord, you people are amazing. I will be busy for a little while, but in due time I will get back to work to attempt these processes that you have all described, and get back to you.

Also, just a small note to InadequateInfirmity: I did try to run Check Disk, but it still gave me the error from before that I recorded in my original post.

Also, the game I was downloading on Steam, Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster, did successfully download and is now playable. this was directly after I performed the processes from my second post on this thread. I had to restart the download, but it finished and is now fully playable. I don't know what exactly this means, but I assumed some part of the problem has been fixed.

Will report back in due time

Best,

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users