Yes it can be heat, despite MSI Afterburner. The program only looks at certain sensors - and the hot spot may not be one monitored by a sensor.
Also, MSI Afterburner can cause it's own set of problems - I'd suggest uninstalling it.
"Could it be dust or a loose graphics card that's doing this?"
Yes it could be. And checking it is fairly simple on a desktop computer
Be sure that the system is unplugged when messing around in the case.
Also, be careful touching things inside the case
- make sure that you're grounded by holding onto the metal of the case
- approach components slowly, in case extreme heat is able to burn you (I got 2nd degree burns from a malfunctioning video card this way).
Beyond that - wait for the next episode, then recover from it and immediately generate these 2 sets of reports:
Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:
1) Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis: http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
2) Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).
FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504
While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able. - John
(my website: http://www.carrona.org/
)**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack
. ** If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.
<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.