Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Puppy Linux Question, where are the new 'Fatty' like ISO's these days?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,919 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:12 PM

I've tried one or two of the old "fat" puppies, and don't really see the point, unless you happen to want all the software that comes with them.

As one of the advantages, or perhaps even the main advantage of Puppy, is that it's lightweight, to then bloat it with lots of software seems to defeat the purpose to a large extent.

Also, standard Puppies such as Tahr and Precise already come with lots of (lightweight) software, already installed.

I agree Al, Those fat puppies are fun to play with but really who ever uses all the software provided.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:46 AM

And originally, I only turned to it in sheer desperation at the unasked-for system freeze-ups and graphical 'glitches' I was getting through Canonical's continuous & never-ending updates.

I initially used Puppy to rescue files from a failing HDD that had XP installed, IIRC, and NickAu here suggested Puppy. Before that the only live Linux I had ever tried was an old version of Knoppix on a CD, and I was highly impressed by the speed of Puppy in comparison. (Of course as we now know Puppy loads its files into RAM, whereas Knoppix has to keep reading the CD.)

I agree Al, Those fat puppies are fun to play with but really who ever uses all the software provided.

I must have downloaded dozens of Puppy ISOs. The only Puppies that I ever use nowadays are my Tahr Puppy multi-session CD - which is now full and I will replace with a new one soon - and Lucid Puppy (frugal install) on my laptop.

#18 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:43 AM

I live with my 82-yr old Mum, who has spinal arthritis..

I wish your mother the best outcome possible, as that's also a lot of my issue today. Had surgery in 2006 to get rid as much as possible, a four level lumbar fusion (that many younger surgeons wouldn't attempt) with implants & bone grafts from a deceased donor that caused me to be in living he** for the next 18-20 months, yet this crap is like cancer, can't get it all & it comes back. Has returned to other places in the spine & today am less mobile & getting worse. 

Not what the doctors gave me as the outlook, but after much reading, spinal fusions are sometimes crapshoots. On the other hand, the pain I had is gone, what the surgery done in slicing many nerves led to more pain, some of which is permanent. The initial hip pain has returned on both sides, plus have neck pain. For now, just have to deal with it, because my pain management physician doesn't want to refer me to another spinal surgeon, for the same reasons that I fear, that knife that the surgeon has. :P

Prior to that, have had arthritic bone cut out of my shoulders & there were no serious after effects, was back to work in a week. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#19 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:44 AM

If looking for a Puppy that's a bit "different" to the standard Puppies, I would consider trying one with a different desktop. One that I quite liked when I tried it is LxPup.

"The Puppy equivalent of Lubuntu...." - > 140800 downloads from 164 countries as of 25-may-2016

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=89270

Edited by Al1000, 07 June 2016 - 03:45 AM.

#20 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:08 AM

Thanks for all of the advice from everyone, will have to check out the Puppy Linux Discussion Forum & see what's going on. :thumbup2:

The one provided by Al above looks promising, also want to check out 64 bit builds other than FatDog64, seems like there would had been a 'Tahr' equivalent of it, maybe there's little demand. As many who uses Puppy are doing so on aged machines to keep these alive for as long as possible, and I can appreciate that. :)

I don't really know what else to suggest, Cat. You don't seem like the 'hands-on' type to me, although I may have read you totally wrong, of course.....   :P

Mike, you read me right, I dread it when having to slipstream drivers & SP's into a Windows ISO, remastering a Linux one where I'm less familiar poses a larger challenge. While I've ran Linux Mint for 7 straight years, wouldn't know where to begin with remastering the ISO, though in large part, that's exactly what many does with Ubuntu ISO's, to create an entire new OS. 

Maybe you folks have a point, add the software that I'll use, then create an ISO. More can be added as needed. I would prefer a Ubuntu base though, will have to check out the Puppy Linux Discussion Forum, which is loaded with information, has to offer. 

Thanks for the support! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#21 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:49 AM

Morning, Cat.

Maybe you folks have a point, add the software that I'll use, then create an ISO. More can be added as needed. I would prefer a Ubuntu base though, will have to check out the Puppy Linux Discussion Forum, which is loaded with information, has to offer. 

Good idea!

It really is the best place to get information on any aspect of Puppy; the amount of information contained therein is mind-boggling. Every single post, dating back to the Forum's creation in 2004/5, is still available; and on more than one occasion, I've been able to fix problems by perusing an 8- or 9-yr old post.

Perhaps see you over there. If you decide to create an account, be aware that sometimes the forum confirmation e-mails get interpreted as 'spam' by your browser (and almost always by Thunderbird, if you use it); nothing anybody can do about it, sometimes you have to try more than once. You'll get there eventually...just be persistent!  :lol:

I'll agree with Al; LxPupTahr is based on Tahrpup; LxPup is based on Slackware 14.1.....although I believe both of these are 32-bit ISOs. I've tried LxPupTahr myself; it's really very good, and uses a later kernel than Tahrpup does. (3.14.56, as opposed to Tahrpup's 3.14.20).

Home page here. There is an 'experimental' 64-bit version, here.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 07 June 2016 - 06:27 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#22 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:36 AM

While I normally don't like to 'resurrect' a dead Topic, maybe this is a good time to do so, due to the Meltdown/Specter issues, where many won't get a true firmware update. :) 

I suppose as time passages & sooner rather than later, users will be looking for a more secure way to run our computers (regardless of installed OS). A loaded 64 bit, UEFI capable Puppy would be the answer, the link by Mike above has been updated & discussed a lot since originally posted. Meaning there's demand in the project & there'll be more with the current situation. 

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96875

The need for 64 bit is not for my usual reasons stated in the past (the 32 vs 64 bit deal), rather most all computers shipped since 2012 has 8GB or more RAM installed after becoming the 'sweet spot' (closer to 12-16GB today). This was because for most intents, Windows 7 (and 8 at the time) grew too heavy with having only 4GB RAM & far worse today (6 years later). In order to use & access all of this RAM, a 64 bit Puppy becomes needed, Google Chrome (or Chromium) can use 4GB alone with a dozen Web pages open. Even with 32GB (DDR3) 2400MHz RAM running in XMP #1 mode in this PC have had 'low memory' errors & Chrome was the reason. Note that this was running W10 & not Linux, so there were background processes running that a Linux OS wouldn't have, yet still, Chrome (the #1 browser) is a RAM hog. :P

Firefox, while better, still uses a lot, depending on extensions used & how many tabs open.

While FatDog64 would look like that OS, never will be because it was designed to be a teaching distro at UNC, not a consumer oriented one. However, as noted in the discussion link above, the EFI bootloader that FatDog64 has became needed & was used in the lastest release. So this could truly place Puppy in the spotlight if developed well & adopted by lots of users, who'll spread the word to others. Especially those who truly cares about their security, as the session resides in RAM. 

Good time to revisit this Topic, may be of interest to some. :)

Cat

#23 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

I suppose as time passages & sooner rather than later, users will be looking for a more secure way to run our computers

Transitioned over from Puppy to using OpenBSD myself. 9MB ramdisk image that you boot and can use a autoinstall script (populated with the responses that you'd otherwise enter interactively) that pulls down the latest (I track --current) OS, then pull down (pkg_add, similar to apt_get) any of the programs you need. Along with a config script you can have a fresh system running the latest versions within minutes. No need for OS backups, just have to care for your data backups and auto-install/config file/script. The default OBSD boot is secure, and data is protected as the default requires root permissions to mount partitions (X also runs as a restricted user that prevents the screen/key scraping that other systems X in running as root opens up).

Edited by rufwoof, 16 January 2018 - 06:49 PM.

Debian and OpenBSD multiboot's

#24 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,919 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:24 PM

While I normally don't like to 'resurrect' a dead Topic, maybe this is a good time to do so, due to the Meltdown/Specter issues, where many won't get a true firmware update

Yes and no depends on the puppy and the machine, for 64 bit you might be able to use a new Kernel like 4.4.0-109 and install the firmware update manually by copying it to the appropriate folder I think.  Or flash the BIOS if its supported.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#25 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:28 PM

rufwoof, wow what an explanation! :thumbsup:

Although have been a Linux user for over 9 years now (approaching the same for primarily Linux Mint), am a typical Linux Home user, just like those who runs Windows. Customizing software isn't my greatest strength, the exact opposite, am a lot more familiar (& interested) with Hardware than software. Still to this day, have to Google my way through fixing my own OS's, as well as those for others. When I can't find the answer (regardless of brand), will create a Topic in the appropriate section here.

I've tried for years to open tar.gz files to no avail, unfortunately there's little interest to independent writers in creating these articles in easy to understand terms. If it's 'quick & dirty' that's OK, as long as a novice can comprehend. Seems like many whom posts these much needed Linux tips speaks to their audience as though a doctor speaking to patient in their terminology, rather than plainly stating the diagnostics & how to move forward. 

That's also what turns off many in regards to Linux usage, while I can run the OS as is & maybe adding a PPA from here or there, a .deb installer when needed (after all, that's easy), for the most part, that's all I've needed to survive with Linux Mint. I can even dabble a bit with Puppy (FatDog64), although not as well since the Slacko conversion. Going from a Ubuntu (or rather Debian) based distro to whatever 'BSD', there's at least two major known ones, would be too much culture shock for me to comprehend. Nor do I have the desire to do so, largely based upon that (the new learning process), my age & health, it takes a lot of time & effort to switch from one Linux family to the next. 

What I was speaking of above, for the average user (the masses), a prebuilt Puppy distro that's updated regular would be perfect for everyone to make secure transactions w/out having to learn the equivalent of what was once called algebra when I went to school (BTW, I flunked badly :P). It was the grades from most of my other classes that moved me to the next from year to year. Well, there's tens (if not hundreds) of millions of computer users who only knows 5% (or less) of the power of their current OS, regardless if Android (Google), iOS, Linux or Windows. Most of us doesn't care to code & create packages, we simply want to get to Point A to Point B in the fastest, secure manner possible. That's where a nice Puppy build could come in, even if not weighing in at a massive 3.8GB. 

Remember, I'm speaking of the masses here, not enthusiasts who wants to code everything, few wants to return to the pre-Win95 days of computing, where there were only basic functions available. Which for many, was still (for the most part) only email access at the time. Until Windows 2000 came along at my former employment, never had a real browser. Only after XP was released, did the masses jump on the Internet, when Dell created a price war that benefited most everyone, for the first time ever, at the price of $400-500, anyone who wanted a PC could have one. It would be years before I had a PC, instead had a far more expensive notebook that was second hand, although only six months old, needed for my job (BYOD became mandatory or face dismissal/demotion). The masses loved these computers because everything was so easy to use, a child could run XP powered PC's. :)

With the security issues ahead of us that may never be fully resolved for the untold number of devices on the market, that's what we need, a prepackaged OS that's easy to jump into & run. Even if it has to first load from slow optical drives, once in memory, the media can be ejected & use the available features for secure, safe Internet usage. Then for general usage, can run whatever OS installed & properly maintain, which will vary from one brand of OS to the next. Who knows, then many of the same would be more willing to adapt to an easy to run Linux distro. 

Point being, the average Home user will never understand how to run RAMDisks, even though these has been available for Windows a decade. Plus all of these scripts needed, many cannot even create & run a .bat file to cleanup their temp files in an instant, let alone root permissions, mounting partitions, etc. Most doesn't even have a drive image schedule, over 9 years back, I learned this via the University of Hard Knocks. Lost all of my data, my OS, everything when getting my first dose of Linux via WUBI (installed Ubuntu inside of XP) & hosed with Computer Janitor installed on Ubuntu. This is what I never understood, WUBI (Ubuntu) was a Windows installed app, so therefore, didn't have full access to all of the hardware. I could boot into Ubuntu installed in this manner, yet couldn't boot into XP for the life of me, so wiped the slate clean & began new, with dual booting instead. 

Today, I'd know how to fix the issue with an XP install CD, yet it was what I didn't do that hurt the most, in creating a drive image. The worst part about it was one was given to me for Christmas, still in it's box at the time. Once that happened, I became a fan & very vocal about backup. Unfortunately here we are in 2018, backup drives are at all time lows in pricing, yet backup rates are no higher (as a percentage of users) since the turn of the Millennium. Otherwise, many tech forums wouldn't exist, a recent backup image can get anyone out of many common issues, to include drive replacement, as well as infections. 

Point being, this is the same crowd that needs an easy to use loaded Puppy the most, because we can't seem, no matter how hard we try, to get more users to image their OS. Many of the same doesn't perform regular Malware scans & why Windows 7 (& Vista) shipped with a spyware catching app in Windows Defender, MSE (or any security) was still optional. This ended with Windows 8, Defender was installed security that ran frequently, although drained lots of resources & didn't live up to the hype of the original MSE release, which was highly praised initially. 

It's not just myself that I'm concerned about, if that were the case, a Linux Mint distro on optical drive is perfect, my most used apps are installed & have even updated Firefox in Live mode. A customized Puppy that's basically click & shoot would be ideal for anyone who cares enough about identity fraud to have a safe, secure browsing session & that's my point. Having that for everyone, and displayed where more folks will see they have options. Such as on this forum, in the Headlines section would be ideal, because it'll be forbidden to step into a Windows section & jump off sides pushing Linux. Just as it would be for those members to come here & do the same. :)

I'll be fine, can adapt to calling in orders if needed like I once did & my wife still does, items arrives in about the same timespan. Don't need online banking, there's an automated system to call from a landline (not a VoIP one) or cell phone to check balances, transfer money, make credit card payments, all are under one roof. And could remove most of my business totally away from email if needed. Yet the masses won't do that, that's why I resurrected this Topic & hopefully will be seen by someone interested in creating & releasing such a secure distro. The US Air Force once had one created quarterly, I used these at times, were fairly well for a 400MB ISO & included Adobe Reader (optional) & shipped in both PAE & non-PAE versions. Just discovered it's been rebranded & have discussed the distro long ago (2nd link). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Portable_Security

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/539270/new-lightweight-portable-security-iso-released/

Even that was better than nothing, it was just that the word wasn't out, just so happened to run into it looking for secure bootable ISO's long ago. :)

Cat

#26 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,919 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:51 PM

I've tried for years to open tar.gz files to no avail,

Have you tried to right click select extract here?

IdqgxjE.png

Oh and PS, Have you tried terminal?

What command do I need to unzip/extract a .tar.gz file?

Edited by NickAu, 17 January 2018 - 11:55 PM.

Arch Linux .

#27 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:58 PM

Sorry for the double post, browser looked to be hung with 30+ Google tabs open, hit Post twice. :P

Oh and PS, Have you tried terminal?

What command do I need to unzip/extract a .tar.gz file?

Nick, will check out that resource & see how it pans out. Maybe that'll allow me to install the minor things that aren't in the repos, PPA's or .deb packages. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 18 January 2018 - 12:07 AM.

#28 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,919 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:16 AM

Anyway back to the topic.

They are still there,

All you have to do is download it and burn it to DVD.

OR Make your own, Its not hard.

When I first found puppy I thought it was cool, Then I found The " fatty " puppy by csipesz, and was amazed till I found out that I could easily do the same thing but by installing only the stuff I want and thats how it is with most puppy users.

Even the basic puppy ISO around 300 megs has a lot of stuff I don't need or use and they are the first to go, The ISO's are fine don't get me wrong and the devs do a brilliant job by putting together a package that everybody can use.

Its puppy customize it all you want, There are tons of applications and stuff in the repo.

You wanna run KDE on it? Sure

KDE on Puppy Linux. - YouTube

You wanna run Mate on it? No worries.

Mate Desktop 1.8.1 for Puppy Linux - YouTube

I installed XP in VM on Puppy 6.0.5 for fun and it works great. Why? Because I can, It was easy.

0dF7MkH.png

Install Virtual Box from the puppy repo,  Do all the VM stuff like you would in Windows or Ubuntu, then install Windows, its literally that easy.

Edited by NickAu, 18 January 2018 - 01:24 AM.

Arch Linux .

#29 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:47 AM

I've tried for years to open tar.gz files to no avail, unfortunately there's little interest to independent writers in creating these articles in easy to understand terms. If it's 'quick & dirty' that's OK, as long as a novice can comprehend. Seems like many whom posts these much needed Linux tips speaks to their audience as though a doctor speaking to patient in their terminology, rather than plainly stating the diagnostics & how to move forward. 

@Cat:-

Y'know, opening tarballs is one of the first command-line options most Linux users learn! However, for something easier to use, have a look here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87864

Forum member SFR wrote his own 'Universal Extracter', several years ago. He was fed up with the useless extraction facilities out there, and decided to put together the 'ultimate archive extracter'.....which would handle anything. Literally.

Over the last 4 years, he's upgraded it some 40 or 50 times, improving it at every release. It's always been available as a 'right-click' context menu app.....and is unique to Puppy.

Here's a list of all the tools it uses & formats it can handle:-

"UExtract can make use of the following tools: 

• 7z 
  • aescrypt 
  • ar 
  • arj 
  • avconv/ffmpeg 
  • balz 
  • base64 
  • bbb 
  • bcrypt 
  • bro 
  • b(un)zip2 
  • ccrypt 
  • cpio 
  • cryptsetup 
  • dar 
  • ddjvu 
  • dpkg-deb 
  • exploderpm 
  • extract_chmLib 
  • extract-ikconfig 
  • fdisk 
  • flzp 
  • fossil 
  • fp8 
  • fusecompress_offline 
  • gdisk 
  • gifsicle 
  • gostcrypt 
  • gpg/gpg2 
  • gs 
  • g(un)zip 
  • kgb 
  • ha 
  • hexbin 
  • icotool 
  • innoextract 
  • lbrate 
  • lepton 
  • lha 
  • lizard 
  • losetup 
  • lpaq1 
  • lpaq8 
  • lr(un)zip 
  • lz4 
  • lz4jsoncat 
  • lzip 
  • msgunfmt 
  • nanozip 
  • nomarch 
  • nulib 
  • paq8l 
  • paq8n 
  • paq8o 
  • pdfdetach 
  • pdfimages 
  • pdftocairo 
  • pdftohtml 
  • pdftotext 
  • poweriso 
  • qemu-nbd 
  • quad 
  • ripmime 
  • rpm2cpio 
  • r(un)zip 
  • scrypt 
  • snzip 
  • steghide 
  • swfextract 
  • tar 
  • tnef 
  • tor 
  • tosz 
  • truecrypt 
  • unace 
  • unalz 
  • (un)arc 
  • (un)compress 
  • undms 
  • unegg 
  • (un)freeze 
  • (un)lzma 
  • (un)lzop 
  • unlzx 
  • unpack200 
  • (un)rar 
  • unsquashfs 
  • (un)xz 
  • unzip 
  • upx 
  • uudecode 
  • veracrypt 
  • wvunpack 
  • xar 
  • xcur2png 
  • zimdump 
  • zoo 
  • zpaq 
  • zstd 
  • zzip

Supported, though not extensively tested, formats/extensions are: 

.??_ .2fs .3fs .3gp .4fs .7z .7z.001 .7zip .a .a[0-9][0-9] .a2theme .ace .acp .adz .aes .ai .alz .ani .apk .appimage .ar .arc .arj .Arch00 .ark .asc .au .avastsounds .avi .azw2 .b64 .balz .bau .bbb .bfe .bgz .bin .blend .bmp .bmz .br .bxy .bz .bz2 .bzip .bzip2 .cab .capx .cb7 .cba .cbr .cbt .cbz .cdmtz .cdmz .cfs .cgz .chm .chrt .cld .cpgz .cpio .cpio.7z .cpio.bz .cpio.bz2 .cpio.bzip .cpio.bzip2 .cpio.f .cpio.gz .cpio.gzip .cpio.lz .cpio.lz4 .cpio.lzma .cpio.lzo .cpio.xz .cpio.z .cpio.zip .cpl .cpt .cramfs .crf .crx .cur .cvd .cxarchive .daa .dar .dat .dazip .dbk .deb .depot.gz .dia .disk .divx .djvu .dll .dmg .dms .docx .dotx .dsk .dsl .dz .ear .eaz .ecs .eftx .egg .emerald .eml .emz .epk .epub .esriaddin .exe .ext2 .ext3 .ext4 .f .fat .fcstd .flac .flf .flp .flv .flzp .fossil .fp8 .fwp .g3x .gadget .gc .gem .gg .gif .gifar .gnumeric .gnutar .goomod .gpg .gps .graphmlz .gst .gszip .gtar .gtp .gz .gz2 .gzi .gzip .ha .hc .hfs .hfv .hid .hme .hmxz .hqx .htmlz .hwp .i5z .iar .icl .ico .igz .ima .img .imz .ip .ipa .ipcc .ipg .ipk .ipsw .iso .ita .itz .iwd .ja .jar .jgz .jic .jpeg .jpg .jsonlz4 .kfo .kgb .kmz .kpr .ksf .ksp .kwd .lbr .lca .lemon .lep .lha .little .liz .love .lpaq1 .lpaq8 .lpk .lrz .lxf .lz .lz4 .lza .lzh .lzma .lzo .lzx .maff .mar .mbox .mcgame .mct .mcworld .mdf .mds .mdz .mdzip .mga .mht .mhtml .mim .mime .mkv .mmip .mo .mov .mp3 .mp4 .mpeg .mpg .mpk .mpz .mpzip .mscz .msg .msi .msp .msu .mxl .mzp .mzz .nbf .nbm .ndr .nex .nfl .ngr .nif .nlr .nrg .nsis .ntfs .nth .nupkg .nz .oar .obt .odb .odc .odf .odg .odi .odm .odp .ods .odt .oex .ogg .ogv .ogz .onepkg .orb .otg .oth .otp .ots .ott .ova .ovp .oxt .p2s .pack .package .pak .paq8l .paq8n .paq8o .par .pat .pbp .pcv .pdf .pet .pfs .pigm .pigs .pisi .piz .pk3 .pk4 .pkg .pmlz .potx .pptx .psz .pup .pvga .qcow .qcow2 .qpk .qpr .qtz .quad .quiz .r[0-9] .r[0-9][0-9] .rar .rar5 .rmskin .rpm .rsn .rub .run .rz .s3z .safariextz .sam .sb .scm .scr .sdi .sdk .sdz .sfe .sfg .sfs .sfx .sh2 .sh3d .sh3f .sh3t .shar .shk .shr .sifz .sle .slm .slp .smzip .snap .snappy .snz .sob .sox .spack .spk .spm .sqf .sqfs .sqsh .squashfs .srm .stc .std .sti .studyarch .stw .styx .sue .svgz .swf .swm .sxc .sxd .sxg .sxi .sxm .sxw .sys .sz .tar .tar.7z .tar.bz .tar.bz2 .tar.bzip .tar.bzip2 .tardist .tar.f .tar.gz .tar.gz2 .tar.gzip .tar.lz .tar.lz4 .tar.lzma .tar.lzo .tar.md5 .tar.xz .tarz .tar.z .tar.zip .tar.zst .taz .tazpkg .tb2 .tbz .tbz2 .tc .tcz .tg .tgz .themepack .thm .thmx .tlz .tlzma .tnef .tor .tpkg .ts .tsk .twz .twzip .txz .tz .tzma .tzo .tzst .u .u3p .uax .udeb .udf .unitypackage .upx .usfs .ustar .utz .uu .uue .vbox-extpack .vc .vdi .vfd .vgz .vhd .vmdk .vob .vpk .wal .war .wav .wba .wbm .webm .webz .wgt .wgz .whl .widget .wim .wlz .wma .wmd .wmga .wmv .wmz .wot .wrz .wsp .wsz .wv .x3d .xap .xar .xbps .xcfbz2 .xcfgz .xjt .xjtbz2 .xjtgz .xlam .xlsm .xlsx .xltx .xmz .xo .xpi .xrns .xsn .xz .xzm .Z .z .z[0-9][0-9] .zab .zabw .zad .zfsendtotarget .zi .zim .zip .zipx .zl .zm9 .zoo .zpaq .zpi .zst .ztd .zxp .zz "

Many of us who run Puppy don't bother with anything else. I haven't found an 'unpacking' tool (commercial or open-source) that comes anywhere close.....

It's unique to Puppy (totally 'home-grown').....and it's a cracker!

---------------------------------

@Nick:-

Not 'dissing' Cat in the slightest when I say this, but, in his own words, he's a 'hardware freak'. Software is something he just runs, like many others do.

You and I both know how customizable Pup is.....and that a certain amount of that customization involves scripting and/or stuff in the terminal. Neither of which is really Cat's 'bag'; which is, I think, why he prefers to find software that just works, and does what he wants, OOTB. For the customization you and I both know is possible with Pup, Cat would need a .pet or SFS package put together to do it for him; something he can just 'install' with a 'click'.....and that customization is ready-made and in place.

I'm not knocking him. He can leave me in the dust when it comes to some of the hardware stuff he talks about so blithely; for some of it, I literally haven't got a clue what he's talking about!

We all have our 'specialities', mate.....

You dig, bro?

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 18 January 2018 - 11:03 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#30 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:13 AM

Mike, you summed it up for me & many others! :)

You and I both know how customizable Pup is.....and that a certain amount of that customization involves scripting and/or stuff in the terminal. Neither of which is really Cat's 'bag'; which is, I think, why he prefers to find software that just works, and does what he wants, OOTB. For the customization you and I both know is possible with Pup, Cat would need a .pet or SFS package put together to do it for him; something he can just 'install' with a 'click'.....and that customization is ready-made and in place.

Will start a new Topic over the opening of tar.gz & other Linux specific files, don't want to distract from this one. :)

I installed XP in VM on Puppy 6.0.5 for fun and it works great. Why? Because I can, It was easy.

Nick, that's a cool looking XP you have within your Puppy. while I won't go that far with it, still good to know it can be done. :thumbsup:

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users