Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My library contents in 8.1 are invisible until I click on them

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rizzo44

Rizzo44

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:36 PM

1st - I'm not really savvy with this stuff. I have 8.1 but I did try to roll some of it back to a Win 7 look with Classic Shell. I hate apps (I'm old, OK). I've looked all over the Internet and people talk about thumbnails and what have you. My library items: pictures, videos, music and documents are invisible until I click on a description of the item. They have titles. I can get to my documents. I can click on blank spots and pull up pictures and videos ( I won't even go into my I-Tunes mess - that's for Apple.) This is crazy. It happened after a crash and I have EaseUSTodo backup. The backup worked (my cousin walked me through it in safe mode). It took me awhile before I saw the library mess. At that point system restore wasn't an option.  I have tried every choice you have in the settings above the file icons (that are blank). Everything on "view", "options", "navigation page" "size of icons" etc. I have a bit of luck then I close it and it goes back to the problem. On the external drive I use for backup I find the same thing. I'd appreciate any suggestions. I've been looking everywhere on the Internet. Thanks guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:03 AM

Download batch script i created to delete icons cache file run the IconCache_Rebuilder.bat batch script as a administrator make sure all files are saved and closed so is the running programs because you will need to restart your computer if deleting icon cache wont work then follow below instructions at website link.

[attachment=181264:IconCache_Rebuilder.bat]

After deleting the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\explorer\Shell Icons registry key Windows system files icons will be restore to there default icons.

"How to Fix Missing Shell Icons in Various Places in the Windows User Interface?"
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-missing-shell-icons-windows-ui/

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:26 AM

Thank you for your help. You have to have a bit of patience with me. After I download the batch script you gave me I don't know what you mean when you tell me to run the batch script.

Is it just going to tell me to run it?  Also, when you tell me to close all programs do you mean every single running program on my computer or just some programs (or one)?

And - Do I also make changes to the registry after running the script, and if so then at what point? You didn't mention what to do with the registry change. Is it a separate way to attack the problem? I want to do this right and I'm just not that educated about this stuff.

I understand that if it doesn't work I'll go to the link you gave me. Thank you for your time and for your help.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:44 AM

You need to close all programs that are running that has started by you. After downloading the IconCache_Rebuilder.bat batch script right click the IconCache_Rebuilder.bat batch script and select "Run as Administrator" from context menu after IconCache_Rebuilder.bat batch script finish deleting icon cache it will prompt you to restart your computer click Yes button to restart your computer. If after running the IconCache_Rebuilder.bat batch script wont resolve the issue open the Command Prompt by typing cmd.exe into Search charm and right click the cmd.exe and select "Run as Administrator. From open Command Prompt type below commands one at time for each command press Enter key to execute the command. Last command will restart the computer.

Wmic.exe /Namespace:\\root\default Path SystemRestore Call CreateRestorePoint "Before Deletion of Registry Key", 100, 12

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\explorer\Shell Icons"

Shutdown  /r    /t 0

Edited by FreeBooter, 06 June 2016 - 11:45 AM.

- Dalai Lama

#5 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:12 PM

Thank You. Since I'm a little concerned about my abilities in a few areas I'd just like to ask:

Does //Namespace:\\ mean that I put the name of the computer there?

I am set to create a restore point before doing anything. Does that change any commands?

I crashed a computer by messing around in the Registry. I've now learned to change the end of a key and I just want to make sure that you want me to delete an entire key?

Since I'm not that confident in my knowledge here, can I shutdown the computer in the way I usually do? If not, are there two spaces between /r and /t 0   ?

I know it would help if I knew more about this stuff so I really appreciate your help.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:24 PM

If you already created a system restore point then you can skip first command. You can manually restart your computer so you don't need to enter last Shutdown command. Don't worry the registry key we are deleting wont cause any problems.

- Dalai Lama

#7 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:16 PM

I attempted to download the batch script and a warning message came up. I clicked that I still wanted to proceed. Then I got the message that you have to be the Administrator to download the batch script. I'm the only one who uses this computer and I am the Administrator but I am sometimes asked to prove I'm the Administrator. I wasn't allowed to download it. It told me I needed Administrator rights but gave me no place to click to proceed.  It keep flashing the message that only the Administrator could proceed and I right clicked everywhere I could. I wasn't given any choice to proceed. I know that my computer is totally set up to show me as the Administrator. It just didn't allow me to download. I'll try again. I think the computer is protecting itself because the warning message was pretty clear, even though I got past it.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:24 PM

I attempted to download the batch script and a warning message came up. I clicked that I still wanted to proceed. Then I got the message that you have to be the Administrator to download the batch script. I'm the only one who uses this computer and I am the Administrator but I am sometimes asked to prove I'm the Administrator. I wasn't allowed to download it. It told me I needed Administrator rights but gave me no place to click to proceed.  It keep flashing the message that only the Administrator could proceed and I right clicked everywhere I could. I wasn't given any choice to proceed. I know that my computer is totally set up to show me as the Administrator. It just didn't allow me to download. I'll try again. I think the computer is protecting itself because the warning message was pretty clear, even though I got past it.

Which internet browser you have use to download batch script and do you use any third part download manager?

- Dalai Lama

#9 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:42 AM

I use Internet Explorer 11 and have no third party download manager. Thanks.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:55 AM

If you have no permission issue except for downloading files then reset Internet Explorer settings to its default setting and try again.

- Dalai Lama

#11 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:18 AM

Thank you for your help. This didn't work. I've never had a permission issue for downloading files. I've never seen the strong warning message that came up when I tried downloaded your batch file. Sometimes when I try to delete something it says I need Administrator permission and it's easy to resolve. This gave me that warning and I told them to run it anyway. It just started flashing that I need administrator permission and there was no place to click anything except to close the message. I did go and check to make sure that I am listed as the Administrator and I am. You have helped me to understand this topic much better. I guess it's been simplified to me that some of my shell icons are missing and I need to get rid of all of them and have a program to replace them after restart. I wish I knew why I only have a problem with the file explorer icons. I tried another program that was supposed to accomplish basically what you have been trying to help me with but it didn't work either. I understand if this stuff is frustrating to you. I've taken up a lot of your time and help. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users