Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen with "processing personalized settings" is it a virus? Hack?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 meganlloyd

meganlloyd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:32 PM

I wasn't sure which section to write this in, but my mother who is a computer programmer suggested that I might have a virus.

Last night I downloaded a kindle file from an author's blog with the intention of installing it on my kindle. This morning my computer was I little slow. I have a website and I downloaded the plugin for elegant themes to my desktop to install it to my WordPress. My computer started freezing so I used The task manager to restart. For quite some time my our touchpad hasn't been working but for every now and then it would start working until it I restart for updates. Because I only have one working usb and my touchpad mouse now wasn't working, I looked up ways to fix it. The consensus my the Toshiba forum I found talked about shutting it down, taking out the battery holding the start button for 15 seconds and then replacing everything and starting it over then as it starts up press f2 then f9 and f10.

I don't know which of these or what caused it, but I noticed that when it started, my pictures were not there. Well they were, but they were black. So I restarted it again and it took forever to load and for the longest time it had this black screen with this message box talking about processing my personalized settings in: Google chrome. When it did load, it sent me to a temporary sign in where I could'u access any of my files. I thought I had somehow lost everything. But after a couple of restarts, it brought me to my regular sign in, but I can't open anything. I feel like this is a lot and I'm sorry I don't know what caused it, please help M.D.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chander

chander

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:00 PM

The first thing you want to try is press Ctrl+Alt+Del and see if it brings up the Task Manager. If it does, great. Click on File > Run new task. Type explorer.exe and hit Enter. This worked for me once when I faced this issue.

If this does not work for you, remove all external devices and reboot. If you are able to get display, it might mean that one of the external hardware is causing the problem. If that is the case, start plugging in external devices one by one until you lose display. Remove the last device you plugged in and see if you get the display back. If yes, don’t use that hardware device until you contact the device’s manufacturer. Check again with other external devices.

If removing external devices does not fix the issue, go to the safe mode. Since we assume that you are getting display until you sign in and not after you sign in, you will have to reboot your computer. At the lock screen, click on the power icon towards bottom left of the display. While holding down SHIFT, click on RESTART. This will make your computer reboot. After the reboot, you are given a number of options – select Safe mode with Networking mode. You can simply press F5 on the screen to enter safe mode.

If instead of reboot, you are presented with a screen having three options: Troubleshoot; and Shutdown, click on Troubleshoot and then on Advanced. Then click on Startup Settings and then Restart. The option to enter Safe Mode will be presented when the computer reboots.

regards,

#3 meganlloyd

meganlloyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:24 AM

This is what my mother had me do. I hope it helped because I was able to open documents I had on my computer. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users