Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get graphics drivers to install properly

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 meatduck12

meatduck12

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:46 PM

Lenovo Y40-80 laptop with i7, 8 GB RAM, and dual graphics: Intel HD 5500 and AMD Radeon R9 M275. The AMD card is supposed to be the primary card, but instead the Intel card is being used. The AMD card is only functioning in very short bursts, consistently at about 1/3 the power of the Intel card. When I tried to set it as default, I found out I didn't have the Catalyst Control Center(driver version 15.7). I tried to update to 16.3.2, but it failed and I ended up with a black screen followed by a BSOD, which also had a messed up resolution.

A previous attempt to do a clean install also failed, as after wiping everything the card wasn't detected. I did fix that, but the driver version ended up being 15.7 again and the card still wasn't the primary. Is there any way to install these drivers and make it my primary card? Could this be an issue with my GPU itself?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:53 AM

Hi meatduck12,

Not sure if this is your exact problem, but have a read of this

https://community.amd.com/thread/184695

The video in the answer is worth a look

Good luck

Hedge

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:45 AM

I have an older Samsung laptop with Intel and AMD video cards.

The software for switching between them is proprietary, so installing the drivers from AMD broke it.

In this case, the AMD drivers that Samsung uses are signed by Intel.  Unfortunately my attempts to fix this problem were unsuccessful (I stopped short of a complete wipe and reinstall).

But, I now have a brand spanking new Lenovo Y700 laptop.  It has both Intel and nVidia video cards - but the nVidia card uses drivers directly from nVidia

Please have a look at your manual to see if this might be the case.

FYI - the latest AMD video driver for this system on the Lenovo website is v15.200.1050.0

Otherwise, based on my experience with the Samsung, I'd suggest a fresh install of Windows using Lenovo recovery media

If the system was originally an OS other than W10, then that's what you want to install in order to test it.

The use of the Lenovo recovery media is because you want to be sure any proprietary Lenovo video switching software is installed.

A clean install of W10 may not have these things (as the Microsoft package won't contain any proprietary Lenovo software).

Edited by usasma, 05 June 2016 - 07:46 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 meatduck12

meatduck12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:27 AM

@Hedgeley: Back when I was getting frequent BSODs, it wasn't INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR that was causing it. I did have a BSOD while installing the new drivers, but because of the resolution change I couldn't find the error message. Is it still safe to try their fix?

@usasma: If I go back to 8.1, could I go back to 10 at some point for free? It won't be too big a problem because of the classic shell programs to make it look like 7, but I do want to eventually be on the latest OS.

Edited by meatduck12, 05 June 2016 - 10:28 AM.

#5 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:02 PM

meatduck12,

I'd stick with usasma, he has vastly more experience than I.

if you want to try their fix, just make sure you can reverse it if necessary, with backups(system image) restore points(not the best idea)

Good luck

Hedge  

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:00 PM

While in Windows 10, open a Command Prompt and type "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
If a little window pops up saying that you're permanently activated - then you can go back to W10 on this same hardware without worrying about activation.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 meatduck12

meatduck12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:50 PM

So I should first try to clear my current drivers and get the driver off the Lenovo website before clean installing Windows 8.1?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:52 AM

Yes, I would try it that way.

When I tried it with my Samsung, it didn't work - yet a wipe and reinstall of W8 showed everything to be OK (I haven't put 10 back on the computer yet either.

FWIW - if you do update to W10 using a "clean" install - then to to the Lenovo website and download/install ALL of the drivers there

#9 meatduck12

meatduck12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:39 PM

I was going to do this fix, but I stumbled upon this today: http://us.battle.net/en/forum/topic/20742939744 and https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/4h9fdy/psa_battlenethearthstone_causing_random_amd_gpu/

I have an AMD R9 M275. Could this be related to my issues? I have battle.net and Hearthstone and they both crash frequently. I initially thought this was because of integrated graphics, but I'm now not so sure. I'm thinking about uninstalling the 2, then trying to clean install new drivers.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:17 AM

It's hard to say if this is your problem or not.

Close battle.net (and check in Task Manager to be sure it's closed) and see if that stops your problems.

#11 Guest_LucentWarrior_*

Guest_LucentWarrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:19 AM

I have two systems in this house, both of which upon doing clean installs of the GPU drivers on windows 10, Microsoft jammed the drivers in upon start up and the settings and control panel for both were corrupted, the driver "although an older version" was fine, not corrupted. I downloaded the latest driver package for it, and disconnected from the internet, uninstalled the older one, it prompted for a restart, of which i did, then when it started back up, i signed in without internet access, and installed the new package which took no problem. After it was installed, i then connected to the internet. One system was Nvidia 970M, the other is my home build desktop that i just placed a Radeon R7 250 after running on the inboard intel HD 3000 for a bit. 

I have since the Nvidia issues with windows 10, always done clean installs when new upgrade drivers come out, and always disconnect from the net when installing them, always doing a clean install, and have had no issues since.

Edited by LucentWarrior, 07 June 2016 - 06:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users