Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking. What is it, how, why, and can my system do it?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jrod_34

Jrod_34

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:32 PM

I currently upgraded my cpu, ssd, psu, and will upgrade my gpu:
So this will be the system I will use. I have never overclocked or even really know what it is. I know you can over clock your cpu or gpu. So I would like for someone to please explain what is it, why you should over clock, how you over clock, and if my system can even over clock and would it be worth it.

MOBO- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
RAM- 8gb
CPU- AMD FX-8320E Eight-Core Vishera Processor 3.2GHz Socket AM3+
GPU- AMD RX 480 (when released)
SSD- SanDisk Ultra II 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SDSSDHII-240G-G2
HDD- Toshiba
PSU- Thermaltake PS-TPD-0850MPCGUS-1 850W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Modular Power Supply

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2016 - 05:18 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:19 AM

Overclocking is what it says. CPU and GPU comes with "stock" clock speeds, overclocking means putting higher clocks than "stock" clocks. Of course, higher clock speeds mean more processing power. Motherboard has very basic VRM so I do not recommend overclocking and so I don not tell any instructions. For GPU, not much to say as it's not released yet.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:43 AM

I've never overclocked, so I'm guessing here.  If overclocking also means computer runs from Warmer-to-Hotter, and heat is an enemy of desktops/laptops, then extra cooling may become mandatory.  For desktop: consider adding a room fan to better circulate air, extra fan inside the desktop.  For laptop: consider a usb external cooling assembly [one giant fan or twin fans].

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:03 PM

What is overclocking, OCing is getting the most out your system performance wise (best bang for the buck). Optimization is key and is never achieved by using default Bios settings.

Almost all quality components will see gains in performance, some only show in benchmarks but others you'll actually "feel" the change/increase (thinking gaming or video encoding here).

Once you've experienced these gains you'll never want to go back. I've been feeding the addiction 24/7 for seven years now.

As mentioned above any time you add performance to anything you'll be adding heat into picture.

You'll need to upgrade the cooling solution and make sure the current case has very good air flow.

The 8320e is a nice chip and should OC nicely on a quality mobo but...

Your current mobo has only a 4+1 VRM Phase Count (voltage regulation) I would not recommend anything less than a 6+2 Phase Count to OC an FX8xxx. Most of us run 8+2.

It's also a Micro ATX which is also not something you'd OC on. I would leave settings at stock if it were me and look to upgrade the mobo before risking any damage due to over heating VRMs.

Here is a very good place to start if you have the interest in learning to OCing that 8320 http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

Feel free to PM me if I can any further.

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:04 PM

Google Links

Louis

#6 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:17 AM

Overclocking is exactly what it says, increasing the clock speeds of the CPU, GPU, memory bus, etc so they run faster. The process involves increasing the clock speeds and changing combinations of the clock multipliers (there isn't just a single "clock speed" to change, the multipliers also have to be changed). Along with these changes, it is also common to have to increase the voltage, which in turn creates more heat, which leads to a need for better cooling. "Extreme" overclockers usually end up with expensive liquid cooling set ups to deal with the excess heat.

How much performance gain do you get? It depends on the chip(s) being overclocked and how much of an overclock you can get. Identical model CPU's, for example, will not overclock the same. One will typically will go higher than the other and so on. It's really a luck of the draw in your CPU, although some models in general are better for overlocking. Also, you have to be sure your CPU is not a "locked" model (meaning it isn't overclockable).

Actual performance gains can be decent with the right CPU, but on average it's a few percent increase, up to maybe 10-15% on the high end. The question is, is it worth it? If you're a hardcore gamer looking for every last extra frame you can get, then maybe. For day to day stuff, not so much.

One thing to keep in mind, overclocking stresses the components and if you aren't careful you can easily fry a CPU, GPU or other parts. Just like bumping the HP up on your car engine, you can get more performance, but the cost is a shortened life span, usually. More stress on the components.

My personal opinion is that overclocking isn't necessary in this day and age and not worth the extra cost or potential headaches, but it's a way to learn more about your system, so go for it if you really want to.

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:04 PM

"Feel free to PM me if I can any further."
Sorry, read the forum rules. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/
"All help must be provided in the forums or on our IRC Chat channel. We do not allow support to be provided or requested via personal message, email, or remote desktop control programs (Logmein, TeamViewer, etc)"

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users