Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

to get my wifi to guest rV in my yard, is this good?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mercycroft

mercycroft

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:11 PM

Hi.

I live in a metal building with no windows. I have cable internet from suddenlink. I want to share my wifi with my cousin who is parked in my front yard in her rV. Antenna is not an option.

I have high speed cable internet, hitron cgnm modem (leased from suddenlink). She in the rV has a windows 8 laptop and a smartphone, Android.

We are looking to do this cheaply and simply, nothing fancy. We are poor and redneck, and neither of us minds stepping over a cable outside. She wants wifi in her rV that is fast and stable enough for Netflix. this is what I came up with so far...

Drill a hole through my front wall. Plug a network cable to my modem, send it through my front wall to her rV, drill a hole in her rV wall, send the cable through rV wall, plug it into an access point.

Questions are, will this work well if I weatherproof the portion of the cable that is outside? Should I use an access point, or a different device? What specs on the device would be good for streaming video?

Thanks.

Edited by mercycroft, 04 June 2016 - 08:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:26 PM

Ethernet cable by default is not meant to be outdoors and will dry up and fracture unless you use specifically designed outdoors rated Ethernet cable

#3 mercycroft

mercycroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:33 PM

Thanks for your reply. I will keep it in mind.

Do you know if I should use an access point, or a repeater, or...? Also, whichever appliance I should use, what should the minimum specs be for smooth netflixing? Thanks.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:08 AM

What is your budget for this project?  If you're running cable outside you want direct burial cable.  As far as device you could get away with a cheap router and use it as an access point.

#5 mercycroft

mercycroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:03 AM

After consideration, I will probably order some gel filled direct burial cable. But would a router be suitable? I mean, the cable modem I have is a combo modem and router. Will it accept another router? Because I am unsure about this, I would prefer using a repeater or access point, but I need to know which appliance is appropriate for this situation, and what the minimum specs should be for smooth netflixing. Do you know? Thanks.

#6 mercycroft

mercycroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:10 PM

Would this access point work?
http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-5GHz-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender/dp/B00NQ3PK9Y

#7 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

After consideration, I will probably order some gel filled direct burial cable. But would a router be suitable? I mean, the cable modem I have is a combo modem and router. Will it accept another router? Because I am unsure about this, I would prefer using a repeater or access point, but I need to know which appliance is appropriate for this situation, and what the minimum specs should be for smooth netflixing. Do you know? Thanks.

if your gonna buy the cable made to be buried the best option for the rv would just be a router that's maybe 10/100/1000 even a 10/100 may handle Netflix but not as good

heres a cheap one http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Router-Range-Extender-Medialink/dp/B0044YU60M/ref=sr_1_71?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1465159220&sr=1-71&keywords=linksys

#8 mercycroft

mercycroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

Will this one work?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=psdc_300189_t1_B0044YU60M

#9 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:40 PM

yup thatll work just fine

#10 mercycroft

mercycroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:55 PM

Thanks. ☺

#11 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:57 PM

How do you plan on configuring this? Will the router be in AP mode? Will you seperate IP range? If you just want to "get 'er dun" then anything will work that has Ethernet jacks. If you want to do it well, need more info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users