Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Never was a fan of Optimizers but..

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 boomdig

boomdig

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:29 PM

I am one of the "lucky" ones that went from Verizon to Frontier ISP. Yesterday I was checking out the Frontier web site and came across an optimizer program for download. I wasn't really doing anything I downloaded it just to check it out. Wow, this program is amazing. I thought I had trimmed all the fat and whittled down my start up programs and applications but this thing was amazing. I went from almost 2 minutes to 48 seconds after optimization by this program for bootup time. Wasn't missing anything I wanted to load with windows and it just blew me away. I just have the free version but man, I am tempted to buy the whole version. Nothing like that wimpy Advanced System Care that is so popular. This thing kicks butt! First time I have been this impressed with a 3rd party optimizer this much. It's 30 bucks for the complete version but what the free limited version did was enough. Maybe sometimes there are good optimizers out there. This thing is pretty amazing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:49 PM

What optimizer did you use?  And, you do have recent, current, OS and data partition backups tucked away, correct?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:57 PM

What brand optimizer is it? What OS are you running?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 morganjeff7272

morganjeff7272

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:06 PM

Which optimizer?

#5 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:15 PM

It's Called F-Secure Optimizer and cost 29 bucks. I think it is worth it. One thing it did during the update segment was find the most recent drivers for my Auzentech Prelude X-Fi 7.1 sound card. I have been searching everywhere for at least 3 months for the upgrade and this program found it. That, among other functions, work very well. I truly saw an improvement in the performance of my desktop and it is running much smoother and faster. Other optimizers I have tried I never saw much improvement yet the results would say all kinds of problems having been fixed. I know that the general attitude is optimizers are not to be used but this one changed my mind.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:18 AM

Googling gave me:  https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/booster  -- are we talking about F-Secure Booster?

Awhile back, I installed and let run Norton Utilities 16 [1-click].  My "black-screen boot" OPs disappeared, some stuff disappeared from the icon notification tray, some things were disabled, some of my security and monitoring utilities went offline.  Thankfully, I was able to restore my normal day to day operations.  My choice - I'd rather run AWAC than speed if a choice has to be made.   :)

Edited by RolandJS, 12 June 2016 - 09:24 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:09 AM

I just downloaded and had a little play with F-Sec booster.

As is normally the case with these kind of programs, it identified a whole bunch of problems, some of which it said it rectified afterwards and identified other issues that could only be resolved upon paying to upgrade. 

My pc was running well, cool and smoothly before and seems the same afterwards.

The software seems a bit nagware-ish from what I can tell, but not malicious (on first use).

However, I also found some other vendors offering seemingly the same product which I certainly wouldn't trust as being wholly safe or legit.

Seemed to uninstall easy enough, though.

Edited by robby501, 12 June 2016 - 12:40 PM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#8 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:37 AM

I am using Windows 10 the early build and the optimizer I am referring to is F-Secure Booster. There are some other download sites that have popped up and I think have added on bloat ware. I downloaded from the manufacturer's site. It is so much more comprehensive and effective than say, the popular Advance System Care bundle. And yes, Roland, I have tried Norton as well and thank God I did a restore point before using it. It made all kinds of changes. F-Secure had the only noticeable changes with a few removals from the start up menu and changes in the power and monitor settings. I can live with those.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:55 AM

"...F-Secure had the only noticeable changes with a few removals from the start up menu and changes in the power and monitor settings."  Would you share what those changes were?  I'd like to learn from your experience!    :)

#10 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:26 AM

Sure RolandJS. It removed from my startup menu the loading of the volume control for my Auzentech sound card which I didn't miss. Also a Baidu Speed up application that I didn't miss either. As for power and monitor settings it reset the computer to power off after 20 minutes idle and the monitor would shut off at 5 minutes idle. Both were pretty much OK with me.

Like I said before I was surprised at it finding an updated driver for my sound card. I had been searching for months using Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 drivers. The optimizer found it listed as SB X-Fi driver. No wonder I never found anything.

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:34 AM

I am using Windows 10 the early build and the optimizer I am referring to is F-Secure Booster. There are some other download sites that have popped up and I think have added on bloat ware. I downloaded from the manufacturer's site. It is so much more comprehensive and effective than say, the popular Advance System Care bundle. And yes, Roland, I have tried Norton as well and thank God I did a restore point before using it. It made all kinds of changes. F-Secure had the only noticeable changes with a few removals from the start up menu and changes in the power and monitor settings. I can live with those.

What does that mean "Windows 10, the early build?" This statement does not make any sense because Windows 10 has been available to the public for almost a year. If you are truly using an early build, i.e. a preview build that was available before Windows 10 went public, then you are putting yourself and your computer in harms way. Those pre-July 2015 preview builds are not fully protected from malware like the brand new preview builds are.

This year alone we have received over 8 new preview builds for the Microsoft Windows 10 preview testers. If you are truly using an early build from pre-July 2015 then you are missing out on a lot of features and malware protection.

If, on the other hand, you are not currently updated to the current version 1511 of Windows 10, then again you are missing out on a lot of features as well as putting your computer in harms way. If this is indeed the case, you need to update to version 1511 and quit hanging onto the early July 2015 build, it is not fully protected anymore.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 13 June 2016 - 10:35 AM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:38 PM

Wow, Rocky, I just meant that I have had it for a while. It is version 1511. I made an uninformed statement saying "early" meaning only that I had downloaded it some time ago and perhaps there might be a newer version available. Of course any upgrades would keep me current with the Windows 10 build. My mistake for using an incorrect term.

Thank you for pointing it out.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:23 AM

I mention Norton Utilities 16 because in the earlier years, during my Windows 3.1 - WFW 3.11, early W95-98SE years, I was a giant fan and user of both DOS and Windows Norton Utilities.  I used the disk defragger, registry cleaner, disk cleaner, and some other thingies very often during the week -- and rarely, rarely, was I sorry I used such utilities!  In fact, once, at my dad's company years ago, I was able to un-delete/reconstruct a flat-no-formula Lotus 123 spreadsheet of 350+ business names & addresses [I only lost the last 50].  And, another time, after formatting the wrong partition during a dual-computer setup, I was able to "reverse" the partition loss, "reverse" the format via Unformat, Undelete what was possible to un-delete, partially unzip a zip-backup -- recovered a few hundred documents and text files.  Naturally, because the first character was lost, I had a few hundred Zthis, Zthat, Zother, names.

#14 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:25 AM

Yea, RolandJS, it seems like those type of programs worked much better in the past. I remember I had a program that I can't recall the name of that was an uninstaller. You could do your usual application uninstalls as well as, after a few months of using the program, it would identify all kinds of stuff that was cluttering up the system that had not been accessed in over two months or never and the list would have all files and programs listed with a green dot, yellow dot or red dot. Once in a while, after a couple of beers, I would use this program and delete everything I could find that was green. I had another program that had a restore loaded on a floppy and thank God for that! Learned early on to not tinker when I had a beer buzz going on. Also had a game I loved I think was called Zork something. Ran in Dos and was very good in graphics and sound. Been looking for it and there are a few Zork games out there but not the one I had. All this on an old Compaq that as a package deal came to about two grand! The dial up modem was connected to the system with a mike located in the CRT monitor and I could make phone calls with it. Used to listen in on my ex talking to her mom to find out what I had done wrong this week!

Edited by boomdig, 14 June 2016 - 10:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users