Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CenturyLink Web Helper

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hcline11

hcline11

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

Hi,

I just got internet service through CenturyLink and this Web Helper has hijacked my browser search engines. I can change it to google, to yahoo, to bing and it continues to hijack the search engine in my Safari Browser.

Search engine works fine in Firefox, Chrome, and Opera Browser on my mac.

I have tried the online solution of opting out but it doesn't work at all.

I cannot get ahold of centurylink online customer service because it is not open and frankly calling the people is just as frustrating.

Can anyone help me with getting rid of this browser hijacker? I've tried malware bites, I am trying AVG anti-virus. I am not sure what else to do.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hcline11

hcline11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:27 PM

Update: AVG found some corrupted executable files but nothing that fixes the browser hijacking.

Still need some help.

#3 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:10 PM

I have Century Link but had to buy a new modem because they updated their service where I live. Try the tech support number: 800-247-7285. Maybe they'll do something for you, or take it to the Apple genius guys since it's a prob with Safari. 

Edited by Twin B, 06 June 2016 - 03:12 PM.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#4 hcline11

hcline11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:56 PM

Got ahold of the tech support. Had to argue with them for hours until they finally did the smart thing and went and manually shut off their web helper on their end. Which they should have done in the first place.

I hate tech support who doesn't get it on the first try.

Thanks Twin B for the help.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:57 PM

Glad you got it resolved. About the only thing I would have suggested is to look to see if there is either a Safari extension or maybe a start-up item set in your user account in System Prefs.

#6 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:54 PM

...Thanks Twin B for the help.

Don't be a stranger now, hear?  hehe

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users