Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't boot - SIO Power OK delay failed/PSU failure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aj73

aj73

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:40 PM

Hi everyone.   I have a 3 year old I7 4770K build, with the following components: HAF 932 Full Tower Case, ASUS Z87 Sabertooth Motherboard, EVGA GTX 970 GPU, Corsair TX750M 750watt GPU, 8 GB GSKILL F3-2400C9D RAM, and a 27" LG 29UM67P LCD monitor.  I run a stable 4.2ghz overclock that has run without major problems all this time, but recently I found my monitor was blank showing no signal and stuck in sleep mode.  The display would not reappear matter what I tried, yet the computer itself was still on and running as normal.  At that time I figured I had a monitor or DVI-D cable issue.

I then powered off the pc and monitor to diagnose the problem.   Upon starting the pc back up, it refused to boot up as normal.   It started with all fans powering on as normal, but it then begins to restart on its own about 2 or 3 times, and subsequently reboots with the display blank and only the CPU and top case fan spinning.

After a few further reboot attempts, I finally see a POST screen.   It reports that overclocking failed, so I go inside the BIOS settings to see if I can recover my saved overclock profile.  Unfortunately the rebooting cycle continues, except this time it comes back with another POST error message: "SIO Power OK delay failed".  I again go into the bios settings, this time in an attempt to get back to the default cpu clock profile but it reboots again.  Another reboot or two I actually get as far as the windows 10 logo screen but it abruptly reboots without the POST screen and with just the CPU/top case fan on.  

I took of the case to see if any of the mobo LEDS are indicating any issues.  This ASUS board has POST State LEDS to indicate any detected faults for the CPU, VGA, Boot Device and RAM, and none of them are on to indicate any issues.  Motherboard Standby power LED is green, which is normal, so the mobo appears to be working ok and getting some power from the PSU.   

I am thinking the 3 and 1/2 year old PSU (purchased in November 2012) may have gone bad.  I am surprised because I never shut down this pc, and I always leave it on or on sleep mode to avoid wear and tear on the components from constant boots.  Is the "SIO Power OK delay failed" error specific to a faulty PSU or could this also be related to the motherboard or other components?  The PC and monitor is plugged in to a high quality APC surge protector, with it's own status light lit a steady green indicating it is working normally. Is it possible the PSU absorbed some damage from a power spike that the surge protector failed to intercept?  I am trying to figure out if its the PSU or mobo that is working incorrectly.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:55 PM

Try another psu in your system if you happen to have one laying around or ask a friend, you could also use a psu from other computer in yours and try it

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

I think your GTX970 is the problem.  If you have onboard video, take the GTX out, plug the monitor into the onboard, and see if it doesn't behave better.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 aj73

aj73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:57 AM

Hi folks. Unfortunately I don't have a spare PSU to test. I just tried using my backup video card and that didn't work either. At this point, I think I'm just going to get a new 850W PSU (EVGA most likely) and RMA this one as it came with a 5 year warranty that expires November 2017. I am not positive the PSU is faulty, but it appears it is most likely to be the PSU's fault and I can't wait weeks for the RMA process to play out.

I thank you all for your assistance, I really do appreciate the help!

#5 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:57 PM

I would recommend a NZXT psu, i have an 9 year old gaming computer and this psu has never failed me, i havent ever replaced it, so this things really last!.

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#6 aj73

aj73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:20 PM

Hi everyone, just an update here: I tried out a friend's extra PSU that he had lying around but unfortunately that didn't fix the issue. I am not sure how to proceed from here, at this point I can pretty much eliminate the PSU as the culprit. Now its down to the motherboard, RAM, or possibly the CPU. I have tried both my video cards and they are both fine from what I can tell.

The Asus Z87 Sabertooth Motherboard Standby light is green, indicating normal functionality. None of the other lights that would indicate a hardware fault with the CPU or RAM or disks are on. I have two sticks of RAM, and trying each one independently to see if I have a bad stick did not resolve anything either.

I am stumped at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate the assistance!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,893 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

From what I see...that error is probably related to overclocking/BIOS issues.

Google

Louis

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 03:44 PM

In that case, read this to clear the cmos/BIOS to the factory state: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/548777/Asus-Sabertooth-Z87.html?page=38
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users