Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry AppCrash

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lithoartist

lithoartist

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:31 PM

I guess this is not a new question and apologise in advance if I am repeating it but I failed to unearth anything helpful through Search:
I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 one month ago. Reliability Monitor, which I run every day, has advised me four times since May 22nd that Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry stopped working. The application name is CompatTelRunner.exe at C:\Windows\System32.
1. What causes it to execute and how often might that be - are the four times so far likely to be its total attempts?
2. Other than suffering its periodic appearance (I am comforted by a straight line 10 in Reliability Monitor), I wonder if there is a simple solution to this matter?

I have read elsewhere that Windows Update KB3156421 of May 18th could be a suspect. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:48 PM

Windows 10 now comes with the telemetry feature enabled by default which collects all sorts of user activity and sends it to Microsoft. Using telemetry built into Windows 10, Microsoft sought to improve the features and overall experience of the operating system through automated uploads of data. This capability is provided using the Diagnostic Tracking Service and is complete opt-in. If you have problem with Microsoft collecting data then open the Command Prompt as a administrator and execute below command one at time to disable some telemetry settings. I also included websites for more sitting you can turn off to keep your privacy.

Sc config DiagTrack start= disabled

Sc config dmwappushservice start= disabled

Sc stop DiagTrack

Sc stop dmwappushservice

Reg Add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection\ /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener\ /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

"What Windows 10's "Privacy Nightmare" Settings Actually Do"
http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-actually-1722267229

"Manage connections from Windows operating system components to Microsoft services"

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 lithoartist

lithoartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:03 AM

I believe I have discovered the cause of the issue and the answer:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/277d3241-5206-4310-9c2e-28cae3102bc4/critical-error-microsoft-compatibility-telemetry?forum=win10itprogeneral pointed me to Windows update KB3156421 as the possible culprit.  A link there takes you to  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 where there is a further link to the Microsoft trouble shooter package.  I downloaded and saved wushowhide.diagcab from that site.
Uninstall Windows update KB3156421 and run wushowhide.diagcab to hide the offending update.  Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry has not reappeared in Reliability Monitor in six days since hiding KB3156421.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:30 PM

Why have you not executed commands i write for you those commands disables  the telemetry built into Windows 10.

2GvnEq2.gif

#5 lithoartist

lithoartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:16 AM

FreeBooter

I should have addressed your helpful reply to my original post.  I apologise for not having done so.  I am uncomfortable with commands and will not touch anything relating to the registry.  I do not understand their actions and would not be able to rectify matters if anything untoward occurred.  I have to try to find other solutions for my own peace of mind.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:29 AM

I understand the commands i have giving you are safe to execute but its your choice to do so.

Take Care!

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users