Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will my mobo limit my ssd?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jrod_34

Jrod_34

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:27 PM

I am upgrading my cpu, graphics card, power supply, and I am adding an ssd.

This is my current pc:

This computer is an IBUYPOWER- I-Series 301
Specs-
CPU- AMD FX™-4300 Quad Core 3.80 GHz
RAM- 8 GB
GPU- GeForce GT 610
Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
HDD- Toshiba DT01ACA200
Power Supply- Allied SL-8320BTX

Upgrades:

CPU- AMD FX-8320E Eight-Core Vishera Processor 3.2GHz Socket AM3+
GPU- AMD RX 480 (when released)
SSD- SanDisk Ultra II 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SDSSDHII-240G-G2
Power Supply- Thermaltake PS-TPD-0850MPCGUS-1 850W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Modular Power Supply

My current motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3. This mobo only has sata 3gb/s slots. After watching some videos it seems like the 3gb/s will hold my ssd back instead of the 6gb/s. Is this true? If so what should I upgrade my mobo to for cheap? If not then I probably will not upgrade it until my actual next pc upgrade.

Also the reason I am getting the 850w psu is because I am getting it brand new for $70 instead of $140 on newegg.

Edited by hamluis, 15 June 2016 - 01:03 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:04 PM

Main advantage of SSD against HDD is faster seek time and SATA 3 Gb/s does not affect to that. So basically you only lose sequential read and write speed but those are not so important compared to seek times. So while SATA 3 Gb/s holds your SSD little, that difference alone is not big enough reason to upgrade mobo.

#3 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:54 PM

Technically yes a "bit" of a drawback in terms of speed but certainly nothing within Windows and general usage - even gaming, that you would notice. Nearly all of the same real world usage *eyes on* benefits will still be there for you. No worries.

#4 Jrod_34

Jrod_34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:09 PM

Main advantage of SSD against HDD is faster seek time and SATA 3 Gb/s does not affect to that. So basically you only lose sequential read and write speed but those are not so important compared to seek times. So while SATA 3 Gb/s holds your SSD little, that difference alone is not big enough reason to upgrade mobo.

Technically yes a "bit" of a drawback in terms of speed but certainly nothing within Windows and general usage - even gaming, that you would notice. Nearly all of the same real world usage *eyes on* benefits will still be there for you. No worries.

Ohhh okay, thank you both!

#5 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:56 AM

You are welcome. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users