Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sticky/laggy behavior.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 enfant terrible

enfant terrible

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:06 PM

My Windows 10 machine is exhibiting sticky/laggy behavior, especially when it's been left alone for a while. In addition to this, I've noticed that when I've been away fom other tabs for a while and have multiple tabs open, the background tabs will have gone blank and when I go to them they have to re-load. I have also noticed that I cannot print some stuff and when I play Netflix videos, for the first minute or two, the video quality is poor and slightly pixelated.  I doubt it's malware because I recently did a thorough cleaning here at BC and I also have bitdefender and malwarebytes. I also have been running vit registry fix and slimcleaner regularly. Another thing I have noticed is that slimcleaner is taking forever and a day to start up when I open it.

Any advice? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:13 AM

Please do not use registry cleaners/fixers.  Especially with repeated use, they can actually damage the registry and cause problems that can only be fixed by a reinstall of Windows.

The same goes for overuse of other cleaning utilities.

There are known problems between BitDefender 2016 and MalwareBytes Premium - are you using them?

There's several discussions about this at the MalwareBytes BSOD forums:  https://forums.malwarebytes.org/forum/160-bsod-crashes-kernel-debugging/
The most common suggestions for fixes are:
- As a temporary workaround, please turn off Block port scans in the network from Bitdefender 2016 > Modules > Firewall (most current suggestion from BitDefender and MalwareBytes)
- uninstalling either program
- stopping MalwareBytes from running when Windows starts (my suggestion)
- reverting to BitDefender 2015

There's a staff member there named Maurice Naggar who is working hard to fix the problem so that both programs can play nicely together.  You may want to have a look at the topics there to see if there are any newer ideas.

I've checked at the BitDefender forums also, but there doesn't seem to be as much activity there as there is at MalwareBytes.

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 enfant terrible

enfant terrible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:08 PM

Please do not use registry cleaners/fixers.  Especially with repeated use, they can actually damage the registry and cause problems that can only be fixed by a reinstall of Windows.

The same goes for overuse of other cleaning utilities.

There are known problems between BitDefender 2016 and MalwareBytes Premium - are you using them?

There's several discussions about this at the MalwareBytes BSOD forums:  https://forums.malwarebytes.org/forum/160-bsod-crashes-kernel-debugging/
The most common suggestions for fixes are:
- As a temporary workaround, please turn off Block port scans in the network from Bitdefender 2016 > Modules > Firewall (most current suggestion from BitDefender and MalwareBytes)
- uninstalling either program
- stopping MalwareBytes from running when Windows starts (my suggestion)
- reverting to BitDefender 2015

There's a staff member there named Maurice Naggar who is working hard to fix the problem so that both programs can play nicely together.  You may want to have a look at the topics there to see if there are any newer ideas.

I've checked at the BitDefender forums also, but there doesn't seem to be as much activity there as there is at MalwareBytes.

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I don't think I'm using the premium edition of malwarbytes as I never paid for it; it's the free version. I really couldn't tell you what edition of bitdefender I'm using. I can check for you if you tell me how.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:24 PM

When you get the free version, if you don't uncheck the box it automatically gives you a trial of the Premium version.

In this case the difference that matters is that MalwareBytes starts with Windows (so it loads the MalwareBytes drivers).

I would suggest checking MalwareBytes to see if it's the Premium or the Standard version (in the program window).

As I recall, you can check in Programs and it should state what version BitDefender is.

To do this:

- press "Win" and "R" to open up the Run dialog

- type in "msinfo32" (without the quotes) and press Enter

- expand the "Software Environment" category and select the "Program Groups" category by left clicking on it once

- scroll through the entries in the right pane in the "Group Name" column and see what it says for BitDefender.

Or, you can post the reports that I asked for and I'll be able to tell from them.

Edited by usasma, 08 June 2016 - 01:25 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 enfant terrible

enfant terrible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:40 PM

When you get the free version, if you don't uncheck the box it automatically gives you a trial of the Premium version.

In this case the difference that matters is that MalwareBytes starts with Windows (so it loads the MalwareBytes drivers).

I would suggest checking MalwareBytes to see if it's the Premium or the Standard version (in the program window).

As I recall, you can check in Programs and it should state what version BitDefender is.

To do this:

- press "Win" and "R" to open up the Run dialog

- type in "msinfo32" (without the quotes) and press Enter

- expand the "Software Environment" category and select the "Program Groups" category by left clicking on it once

- scroll through the entries in the right pane in the "Group Name" column and see what it says for BitDefender.

Or, you can post the reports that I asked for and I'll be able to tell from them.

OK, I did number one, but I can't figure out how to attach the file. I tried to do number two, but it said "the specified channel could not be found. Check channel configuration."

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:50 AM

If you can't attach it to this post, upload it to a free file-hosting service (such as OneDrive or DropBox).

Then ensure that it's shared, and post a link to it here.

I'm uncertain about the error in Step 2, but can work around some of it with the reports in Step 1.

#7 enfant terrible

enfant terrible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:31 AM

If you can't attach it to this post, upload it to a free file-hosting service (such as OneDrive or DropBox).

Then ensure that it's shared, and post a link to it here.

I'm uncertain about the error in Step 2, but can work around some of it with the reports in Step 1.

OK, I'll try it that way, but  first, Is there some sort of "attatch" button in the taskbar above the posting field that I'm missing? Usually, it's a little picture of a paper clip, but I can't find one here. 

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:57 PM

Depends on how you're replying.  If you're using the "Reply to this topic" at the bottom of the page, there's no way to attach there.

You have to click on the "More Reply Options" button in the lower right.

That'll open a window with the "Attach Files" and a paper clip in the lower left.

Don't try to attach files with standard extensions - most are disallowed.

Use the built-in Windows ability to generate .zip files - those are allowed.

#9 enfant terrible

enfant terrible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:44 PM

OK, I think this ought to do it. 

Attached Files

#10 enfant terrible

enfant terrible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:40 AM

It's been a couple days since your last post here. Did you forget about me? I posted the file above. 

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:47 PM

No, I haven't forgotten.  Life sometimes gets in the way of the internet :0)

It appears that on 8 June you tried to reset the computer.

Which Reset did you use - the "Keep My Files" or the "Remove Everything"?

Lot's of Cortana problems in the System logfile.

Please run this troubleshooter:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 8.15) dates from 2013.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.
There are many, many Windows Update errors in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report - so Windows Updates are a concern here.

Please don't use registry fixers - they don't help and in many cases they actually cause harm.

#12 enfant terrible

enfant terrible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:47 PM

It appears that on 8 June you tried to reset the computer.

Which Reset did you use - the "Keep My Files" or the "Remove Everything"?

IIRC, both. I tried keeping files, but it wouldn't let me do that, so thin I tried removing everything, which it also wouldn't let me do. (I have hardly anything stored on this 'puter, so it would probably be easier for me to just reset than fix the problem. If you want to do that instead we can just do that.)

Lot's of Cortana problems in the System logfile.

Please run this troubleshooter:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Just tried. It said "troubleshooting could not identify the problem."

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 8.15) dates from 2013.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system. 

OK, i will do this soon when I get the time. 

Edited by enfant terrible, 11 June 2016 - 05:47 PM.

#13 enfant terrible

enfant terrible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:27 PM

OK, I just checked for Windows updates; it said that I'm up to date. I'm having a little trouble figuring out exactly what I'm supposed to do with the UEFI/BIOS updates. Sorry, but I'm pretty computer illiterate. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction? My computer model is the HP Pavilion Slimline 400-034. 

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 05:30 AM

Go to this page:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-Slimline-400-000-Desktop-PC-series/5358996/model/5365421

Select your OS as Windows 8 (not 8.1)

You'll see 2 entries for the BIOS, you want the one that's labelled "8.20 Rev.A"

Download and install/update it.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 05:39 AM

After you do that, if you're still having problems you can wipe the machine.

Here's the procedure to follow to install a clean copy of Windows 10

1)  Open a command prompt and type in "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes) and press Enter

If you get a small window that says that W10 is permanently activated, it's OK to proceed

If not, you'll need to get the product key for your original OS (must be Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10)

2)  Go here and use the "Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO?" method:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

When installing W10 (if it's permanently activated) you'll skip the first time that it asks for a product key, and will tell it to do it later the second time that it asks for a product key.

Once you're into Windows (and connected to the internet), it'll automatically activate.

If you didn't get it permanently activated, then just enter the product key from the previous OS and activate in the usual way.

NOTE:  Keep the flash drive/DVD in a safe place in order to use it as a recovery drive/repair drive in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users