Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random major FPS drops in games

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 iamuskia

iamuskia

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:14 AM

I'm currently having an issue in which when I'm in games it will randomly drop the fps to near 0 and lag the system, it feels like something is throttling the CPU, it happens for about 30-60 seconds then goes away and then is completely fine, it only started happening a few weeks ago.

The system i'm using:

System Model: HP ENVY Notebook
Processor:        Intel® Core™ i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Ram:                  8 GB
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 940M

I'm usually playing league of legends if that helps, but happens in every game.

What I have tried to far:

• Fresh install of windows.
  • Updating graphics drivers.
  • Changing the 3D settings on NVIDIA control panel to prefer maximum pperformance
  • Checking the performance when the fps drop happens, nothing spikes.

I'm thinking it might be a temperature issue when something gets to hot and it throttles it, it doesn't feel hot so i'm not sure how to diagnose that.

If you have any ideas, i'd be very grateful.

Edited by iamuskia, 04 June 2016 - 10:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ethan_PCG

Ethan_PCG

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:30 PM

What game are you playing? For some games you might need a good CPU that can overclock to 4 GHz like the i5 4690k and you may also need a good graphics card for better game play, when playing games. I would recommend an Intel i5 4690k and an Rx 480 for a good gaming experience. CPUs that are around 2.2 GHz will only be good for small parts of gaming like ROBLOX, Minecraft, and Unturned. 

Also, it could be your laptop is overheating too much, so remember to clean your laptop regularly. If you don't clean your laptop regularly then there will be dust in your fans which will make your laptop overheat, it will also make your computer run slower. 

Overall

Your CPU is alright for older games, but won't be good for newer games on Steam. I would suggest buying a new CPU and a new GPU, so that you can play better games and your gaming experience will be a lot better. With a better CPU your game will be a lot better and will run smoothly. 

The CPU I would recommend is the Intel i5 4690k. It is a very good, cheap CPU which can overclock to 4GHz+. The GPU I would recommend is the Rx 480. The RX 480 is cheaper than the GTX 980, and it is a lot better than the GTX 980 according to results/tests. 

That's all I can think of.. 

"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone."
- Bjarne Stroustrup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users