Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotmail

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:38 AM

Logged into my Hotmail account today and was in Outlook not Hotmail. and to me this a big step backwards. There is no way I can get Hotmail. Microsoft is going out the window in my humble opinion. Any ideas how to get Hotmail back would be appreciated. I only use laptops not smart phones or anything else. Thanks for any help here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:35 PM

http://www.itpro.co.uk/email-clients/19625/my-hotmail-account-has-been-changed-outlookcom-how-do-i-switch-it-back

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:59 PM

There is/was no such thing as a Hotmail interface.
What you saw was the standard look for ALL Microsoft email domains (hotmail.com, msn.com, outlook.com)

They implemented a new look to the webmail user interface. You still get your hotmail email.

More information here http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/21/8634979/microsoft-outlook-email-service-new-features-user-interface

If you don't like the new look, you do have an alternative. Use an email client such as Thunderbird. Configure it to work with your Hotmail account.

Install, configure, click the icon on the desktop, it opens, downloads mail from the server to your computer.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 04 June 2016 - 07:01 PM.

#4 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:14 AM

Thanks to you both for your help and information links. What I would like to ask MS is if it isn't broken why fix or change it?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:28 AM

They wanted it to be similar to the Office component Outlook.

I'm not fond of web-based email access so I have always used an email client. Thunderbird suits my needs for my MSN and ISP email.

#6 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:46 AM

Thanks again Q-E I might have jumped the gun a bit as usual. I have had a play around with the setting in Outlook and now seem happy enough with it. I don't send many emails mainly to family and a couple of friends so I think I will stay with what I got. Had a look at your suggestion Thunderbird and it looks good but as I said I wouldn't be using it enough to get all the value out of it. So that's me.

Again many thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users