Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Flickering

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Castle Robin

Castle Robin

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:33 AM

My computer is intermittently flickering whereby, if I try to type on the keyboard, no text appears on the screen until the flickering freeze ends.  When this happens, my browser says "(Not responding)".

I'm not sure if the following are related or unrelated, but my computer also experiences occasional bouts of audio jittering (even when not scanning for viruses) and all relays of this radio station keep stopping and starting delaying the end time of each programme by up to several minutes, irrespective of programme:

http://www.key2radio.co.uk

http://www.thegreatesthits.co.uk/

Edited by Castle Robin, 04 June 2016 - 09:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:34 PM

. . . no text appears on the screen until the flickering freeze ends.  When this happens, my browser says "(Not responding)".

Can you clarify this a bit please ?  Is this when you are typing in say a word processing application or in an on-line document ?  The reason I ask is that the most common cause for internet video or audio stuttering is a poor internet connection. Have you ever checked to see what your connection speeds actually are ?  If not, try 'speedtest.net'. It's not 100% accurate but gives a good guide, especially if you observe it over a period of time. You need to register to keep a log over time of performance but it is a free service and useful.

It would also be extremely useful if you supplied the make and model of your computer, its OS and which browser you are using.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:51 PM

. . . no text appears on the screen until the flickering freeze ends.  When this happens, my browser says "(Not responding)".

Can you clarify this a bit please ?  Is this when you are typing in say a word processing application or in an on-line document ?  The reason I ask is that the most common cause for internet video or audio stuttering is a poor internet connection. Have you ever checked to see what your connection speeds actually are ?  If not, try 'speedtest.net'. It's not 100% accurate but gives a good guide, especially if you observe it over a period of time. You need to register to keep a log over time of performance but it is a free service and useful.

It would also be extremely useful if you supplied the make and model of your computer, its OS and which browser you are using.

Chris Cosgrove

He is saying that if you're typing anything on anywhere, lets say google.com, text won't appear until the computer stops flickering,

Now back to the topic,

Have you tried testing the RAM modules?

if it is a laptop, usually there is a compartment underneath your laptop that should say ram or have a ram picture:

Attached File  LAPRAM.jpg   68.34KB   0 downloads

If not, open all the compartments until you see the RAM, depending on you're system model there should be usually 1-4 ram slots, extract all the RAM modules inside and install one RAM module in a slot and boot up, if it continues, change the Ram that is currently inside into other slot and boot up again, repeat this in all slots and if changing slots helped then a RAM slot is faulty, if this did not help, grab another RAM module and repeat the steps above, do exactly the same to the other RAM modules, until you see your laptop up and running good again if not then we can rule out RAM.                                                                                                                                       ^                                                               

^

^

^

If you're on a desktop, open the compartment door on you're desktop and search for the RAM that should look like                                     ^  this:                                                                                                                                                                                                                    ^

Attached File  RAM.jpg   134.51KB   0 downloads                                                                                                                                                                          ^                           

^

An its located usually here:                                                                                                                                                                                ^                     

Attached File  RAM location.jpg   40.57KB   0 downloads                                                                                                                                                             ^

^     

And do the same steps as I specified in the laptop RAM testing steps above>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>^

Also can you specify the next things?:

Is it a laptop or desktop

Model and manufacturer of your computer

and a speccy shot  https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard to do this you need to install speccy and then start it, wait for speccy to analyze you're computer, after that go click on the menu bar "file" and click save snapshot and then upload it here

Edited by bc0306, 04 June 2016 - 08:57 PM.

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:46 PM

Before people get drastic and start pulling computers apart, how about waiting for a reply from the OP first ?

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users