Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer start up problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lostedge

Lostedge

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:31 AM

Original problem started when I decided to install modular PSU, and at the same time test if I could install a newer used GPU. Computer starts and fans rotate, but I can not hear any bios beeps. Nothing shows up on display.

I have switched back to the old PSU, but the problem still persists. No beeps, no pictures. Nothing. Except fans rotate and computer "starts up". 

SPECS

NZXT Lexa (case)

MSI P35 Platinum (Motherboard)

4GB RAM ([Performance] F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ G.Skill DDR2 800Mhz)

Q6600 (CPU)

Antec Eartwatts  80 plus 500W

OTHER INFO:

Manual for Motherboard: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/P35_Platinum.html#down-manual

Last downloadlink, pages 37 - 38

LIGHTS ON MOTHERBOARD: (Currently testing memory by trying them one at a time, and then testing maybe totally new RAM stick)

(RED)

(------)

(RED)

(------)

(GREEN)

(------)

(RED)

Attached Files

Edited by Lostedge, 04 June 2016 - 09:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:41 AM

While again being properly grounded the whole time [to avoid electrostatic discharge', back to only motherboard, power supply test.  Add each RAM stick one a time, test [this time without the other stuff attached].  Add keyboard, add mouse...add each item one at a time back into the computer and onto the computer.

I might be wrong, however, power supply might be "told" to shut down, not power up, because of a short or an improper grounding, somewhere.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Lostedge

Lostedge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:48 AM

While again being properly grounded the whole time [to avoid electrostatic discharge', back to only motherboard, power supply test.  Add each RAM stick one a time, test [this time without the other stuff attached].  Add keyboard, add mouse...add each item one at a time back into the computer and onto the computer.

I might be wrong, however, power supply might be "told" to shut down, not power up, because of a short or an improper grounding, somewhere.

Yeah, it seems the problem is in one of the ram sticks. Removed all the ram, and tested one ram in slot 1 > nothing ... picked up a different RAM and tested it in Slot 2 > and it starts up ... next thing is solving if the SLOT 1 is broken or just one of the ram sticks.

----> 

It was one of the G.skills ..hmph

Edited by Lostedge, 04 June 2016 - 09:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users