Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing internet connectivity every 5-8 weeks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 john1816

john1816

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:22 AM

Hello all

I have this problem of my internet in my pc unit (which I upgraded about 6 months ago) when it suddenly just losses connectivity while all the other computers in my house (including wifi) still have internet connectivity (My laptop can still connect via wifi, my mobile phone as well can connect). This seems to happen every 5 weeks or so, and the way i was able to fix it every time was to uninstall and install the ethernet driver. (I tried the classic modem power cycle along with the pc unit which doesn't work, which points to me that the problem is software-side as I was able to fix it via reinstalling the network ethernet adapter). It is a strange problem for me as I have never encountered this type of problem before. There might be some corrupt registry or file which may be causing it.  

My area seldomly experiences power outages, but when it does, my PC has no UPS so it also shuts off. Not sure if it in anyway, corrupts any files in the network adapter. However, i have not experienced this type of problem from my previous PC builds. 

Running Windows 7 64 bit, and the network adapter for my motherboard is MSI B85-G43

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B85-G43-GAMING.html#down-driver&Win7 64

The loss of connectivity just happened today and I reinstalled the network driver, gaining back connectivity. This problem happens every 5-8 weeks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:32 PM

What happens exactly when you lose connection? Do you still have a valid IP? Also, is PC wired? Last, what is your network equipiment? Modem/router/gateway/etc?

#3 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:12 AM

When i lose my connection, the network icon appears with an exclamation mark. Cant connect to any website (google, etc.). My internet connection is wired (DSL)

My network equipment consists of a modem at the ground floor and a router (with wifi) (to extend the connection) at the upper floor. My computer is connected wired to the router, as well as many other computers. When i lose my connection, it only happens at my computer specifically. All the other computers still have an internet connection. Laptop and mobile phones can also connect to wifi. 

I'm afraid it takes a very long time to replicate the problem however, as it will take around 5-8 weeks for it to appear again. If no problems occur then that would probably be the end of the problem. 

The network driver that I installed came along with a "Killer Suite" application: http://www.killernetworking.com/support/driver-downloads/item/killer-suite so by the time of this posting, i tried installing only the network driver instead to see if the application is the one causing the problem. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users