Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable Windows 10 Telemetry?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Enterprise256

Enterprise256

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:20 AM

What's the most through and safest way to disable Windows 10 telemetry?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 04 June 2016 - 08:44 AM.
moved from Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software to Windows 10 Support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:49 AM

The safest way is to go through your privacy settings and Cortana & Search settings and set them up as you see fit.  I did this upon installing Windows 10 and that's all I did and most of the things people are complaining about, e.g., ads on the start menu, simply do not happen if you've tweaked the appropriate setting or settings (e.g., the "Let apps use my advertising ID" in general privacy settings for the prior example) to your liking.  It's not difficult nor is it particularly time consuming.  One can run through all the Privacy and Cortana settings in less than 15 minutes, tops.

I don't encourage anyone to turn off the system health telemetry, period.  All major OS developers have this sort of telemetry, and it's very helpful for catching "bad updates" on those occasions where they occur before they've been rolled out to the entire world and for improving little bits and pieces of the OS.  If you're really desperate to do that Spybot Anti-Beacon is probably your best choice.  Note well that this kind of telemetry is not new, not by a long shot, and has served its legitimate purpose for a long time now.  The telemetry related to building a personal profile on you for use by the Cortana personal digital assistant functionality is entirely new, and can be entirely turned off via a couple of switches.  If you had been using the Cortana PDA functionality and want to purge all "cloud memory" regarding yourself the links to do so are given in her settings.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users