Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Motoman368

Motoman368

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:45 AM

When my VPN is switched on I am unable to access Bleeping Computer, is this a site policy or is there a workaround?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:18 AM

Although I am sure you will get a more meaningful answer from a member of site staff here very soon, in my experience these measures are put in place to prevent spambot attacks and trolls who obviously take measures to remain anonymous so that their sinister activities cannot be traced. Obviously there are other more legit reasons for using VPN's/proxies, but when taking measures to block rogue users, it is unfortunate that it is inevitable that many legit users will suffer as a result.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#3 Motoman368

Motoman368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:05 AM

I use a VPN as I was threatened by a Troll accusing me of downloading films and selling them. As the film in question was one I would pay not to watch, I use a VPN during searches and switch it off for general use. I appreciate that Bleeping Computer has good reason to keep its guard up at all times and now switch it off when visiting.
Sky was forced by the high court to give my IP address after visiting a site on Googles search list, all I wanted was a movie review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users