Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to choose...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:26 PM

I am not technologically challenged and computers interest me but, I lose interest and don't follow everything.  Comparing computers to sports... you have a variety of levels of "fans."  Many sports fans obsess and know all these details about each player, their stats, etc.  I can't keep up with such things... 

It's sort of the same way with technology.  I just don't have the passion to keep up with everything new and all of that...

My dad, while he was alive, was into computers a lot.  There were things I knew that he didn't but he sure knew a LOT more than I did.  I wish I could converse with him but, I'm not sure he knew all the answers anyway...

Years back, AVG was the best(or one of) AV program out there.  I used to put it on all the machines I worked on for other people...  Then things changed and more programs popped up.  AVG started bothering me(few years back, I don't remember why) so I started looking around.  Found Avast and have been on that for some time.  But I'm setting up some laptops for the kids and not sure what I want to put on there.  Avast is driving me nuts these days with the popups they have offering me a discount on a paid product.  Uh, I'm using this because I'm poor and it's free...  I HATE popups. 

I'd like to ask what the best FREE and least annoying AV is...  but, is there even one answer to that question?

Years ago, I found the downloads at cnet a trustworthy place to get ideas on the ratings of programs.  I believe this too has changed a lot over the years...
(so as an aside, I am wondering if anyone has any favorite software download sites that have GOOD information to help people make informed decisions)

It was so nice to look at editor's ratings and users ratings and all of that.  Very handy... 

But... I also look at AVtest from time to time and the results they put out can be VERY different than the ratings at the other site I use.

So, what's what these days?

How does a person that doesn't "keep up" with technology often enough to know, know?  What's best?  I can "google it" but you get a HUGE mixed bag of results including paid reviews.  How does a person that isn't obsessing over sports, studying who played what position 5 years ago, etc, learn without much trouble the facts they need?  With sports it's easy... the results on a search aren't going to show that roger clemens had an era of 3.2 or something if it wasn't. 

But software is more complicated and always changing.

What the best program is today might not be the best tomorrow?

So, I am asking what people would suggest for something free and not so intrusive... but, also...  where would you suggest I find this information on my own?  I have 5 kids and don't have the time to do in depth research...  and I don't want a program that will drive me nuts or not protect well enough.

A couple years ago I put Comodo on my mom's computer.  I liked it.  Not very intrusive...  less than Avast that's for sure.  But, I don't know if my mom wasn't doing updates or what was going on but she emailed me saying she had malware ("click this, you're infected" type popups).  Dealing with someone else's computer from 1500+ miles away never works really well and she ended up taking it to the IT guys at her work.  I wont say where that is but trust me when I say the IT guys there would be VERY good at what they do... 
They took comodo off and put on well.. I'm not sure.  She told me they told her it was some MS product that was already on there.  Defender?  I don't know.

But, that doesn't have the best reviews on AVtest so, I really don't know.
Everyone has different opinions...     one site says _____ is the best...  another says the same program is HORRIBLE.  It's enough to drive a person batty.

I don't want to just randomly grab at one and hope it will do a good job... especially in today's world where ransomware and such exists. 

Sorry about all of that.  I want to explain myself the best I can.  I used to trust one site for my downloads but when I see totally different reviews on another trusted site...  I'm just not sure anymore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:43 PM

Let's tackle this in bits and pieces.

First, if you have Windows 7 or newer, then, I recommend letting Windows Firewall do its job; it does really well!  I used to use other firewalls, got tired of having compatibility problems, went back to Windows Firewall operations.

Next, Quietman7 will appear sooner or later with a very informative post or two about having a well-thought-out, well-layered line of defense -- and you and your users on your computers are the first and foremost best line of defense.

Next, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Anti-Exploit still have free versions, unless I missed something.

Next, Almost all free anti-virus programs will come with a price -- nag-bulletins, if you want free, you have to ignore the nag-bulletins.

Next, SpywareBlaster's free version does everything the pay-for version except -- you have to manually update the database.

There is no one program nor one security suite that will actually provide 100% protection.  Avoid security suites, they are like driving buses when 4door sedans will do.

Avoid any and all programs that promise: faster! quicker! leaner! cleaner! fixer! and so on...such will very often cause more grief than joy.

As you ask questions, make comments, we can better tailor our responses to your needs and wants.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:05 PM

Let's tackle this in bits and pieces.

First, if you have Windows 7 or newer, then, I recommend letting Windows Firewall do its job; it does really well!  I used to use other firewalls, got tired of having compatibility problems, went back to Windows Firewall operations.

Next, Quietman7 will appear sooner or later with a very informative post or two about having a well-thought-out, well-layered line of defense -- and you and your users on your computers are the first and foremost best line of defense.

Next, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Anti-Exploit still have free versions, unless I missed something.

Next, Almost all free anti-virus programs will come with a price -- nag-bulletins, if you want free, you have to ignore the nag-bulletins.

Next, SpywareBlaster's free version does everything the pay-for version except -- you have to manually update the database.

There is no one program nor one security suite that will actually provide 100% protection.  Avoid security suites, they are like driving buses when 4door sedans will do.

Avoid any and all programs that promise: faster! quicker! leaner! cleaner! fixer! and so on...such will very often cause more grief than joy.

As you ask questions, make comments, we can better tailor our responses to your needs and wants.

Thanks.  On the firewall, I understand.  I remember years ago, might have been when I was running windows 2000... can't recall... but I remember back when it was important to have a firewall outside of windows.  but starting with xp perhaps???  I started using windows firewall as I learned it was good enough.

I've been using malwarebytes for years and still use it.  The guys at my mom's work told her she didn't need it but she asked them to put it on anyway because she's learned that it's always good to have more than one option when cleaning up unwanted stuff.  Malwarebytes doesn't offer free real time protection(unless that's changed) but it often finds things other programs do not. 

I also understand about the big programs.  It doesn't always matter if a security suite can do EVERYTHING if it slows your pc down to a crawl. 

It's a shame that these programs nag in such a way... but, I understand you get what you pay for as they say.    Some are just more naggy than others.  And don't get me started on how many programs today are trying to opt you in to different browsers and such. 

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:14 PM

Download and install Unchecky from unchecky.com -- it will UNcheck most but not all checkboxes during custom or advanced installs of security, monitoring, etc. programs and utilities.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:32 AM

I run Avast forn the past 6 years and have no issues with it , apart from the Upgrade Specials , only get x 1 Popup a week.

You can adjust wiithin settings of Avast to limit warnings etc and time they are displayed. { sec}

Most people install Programs in Auto , so you get all the crap also , try Custom Install ,then deselect the addon garbage. 

I still regard Avast as one of the best free versions , and install it on all Pcs i repair and my own Pcs { 6 }.

But some configuring has to be done by the User in this day and age of extra addons installed by them.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:55 AM

In terms of free AV, there are also Sophos Home and BitDefender Free Edition. Both are effective, simple to use, do not nag users and do not come with "extras".

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:25 AM

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. Please read:

Here are links to some BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:

For anti-virus, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

Keep in mind that an offer of free anti-virus software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version.

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads. In some cases you may be able to disable annoying pop-ups through the anti-virus settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such an option listed, then your only alternative is to switch anti-virus software if the pop-up ads annoy you that much.

Also keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software (and annoying prompts to upgrade) except Bitdefender Free, Sophos Home, Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 8/10 Defender.

Emsisoft’s Behavior Blocker continually monitors the behavior of all active programs looking for any anomalies that may be indicative of malicious activity...it is able to detect unknown zero-day attacks, file-less malware that resides only in memory, zombies (the hijacking of host processes to load malicious code which execute via script parser programs), and file-encrypting malware (ransomware) attacks. Emsisoft Internet Security combines the best of both worlds...it is a complete security suite which combines Emsisoft Anti-Malware with an efficient powerful firewall created using the same core previously found in Emsisoft Online Armor.

ESET Antivirus and Smart Security uses a Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) to monitor system activity with a pre-defined set of rules to recognize suspicious system behavior. When this type of activity is identified, HIPS stops the offending program from carrying out potentially harmful activity. ESET Antivirus (and Smart Security) includes Exploit Blocker which is designed to fortify applications that are often exploited, such as web browsers, PDF readers, email clients or MS Office components. This feature monitors the behavior of processes, looks for and blocks suspicious activities that are typical for exploits including zero-day attacks. ESET's Java Exploit Blocker looks for and blocks attempts to exploit vulnerabilities in Java.

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything.

Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution with real-time protection for maximum protection.

Just like with anti-virus programs...there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-malware solution to supplement your existing security protection. Every security vendor's lab uses different scanning engines and different detection methods. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. Please read:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:07 AM

Hi:

I've been using malwarebytes for years and still use it.  The guys at my mom's work told her she didn't need it but she asked them to put it on anyway because she's learned that it's always good to have more than one option when cleaning up unwanted stuff.  Malwarebytes doesn't offer free real time protection (unless that's changed) but it often finds things other programs do not. 

That is mostly correct. :wink:

Malwarebytes (the security software vendor) does offer Free products for Windows (and Android and Mac).  But, as you point out...

MBAM Free (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free) does not provide real-time protection.  It is a manual, on-demand scanner to remove malware that has made it onto the system past your real-time defenses.
MBAM Premium (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium) does provide real-time, layered protection alongside your AV (but NOT as a substitute for it) for the "what" of malware.

MBAE Free (Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free) does provide real-time protection for browsers and plug-ins against the "how" of malware.
MBAE Premium (Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium) can be configured to shield not only browsers/plug-ins, but nearly all internet-facing applications.

I hope that helps to clarify a bit.

Cheers,
MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 04 June 2016 - 09:08 AM.

#9 vacuum tube

vacuum tube

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:11 PM

eset [paid]was recommended by the experts here for my xp lappy. i carried it  over to an hp win7 ....i am very happy with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users