Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to extend home network to adjacent building

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dchamb

dchamb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:39 PM

I think I am pushing the limits of wifi. But here it is: I have a home network consisting of an Asus RT-AC3200 as the router connected to a cable modem on the ground floor, an Asus RT-87U access point upstairs and an Asus RT-52U repeater on the front porch. All working beautifully.

But I have a 3000 sq foot pole barn about 100 feet from the house. I was attempting to usensure an Asus RP-AC68U repeater to grab the signal it can get and repeat it throughout the pole barn along with attaching some wired devices to it. But the signal from the house to the barn is apparently too weak for the RP-AC68U to connect.

I knew full well I wouldn't get blazing speeds but just to maintain a connection for lower bandwidth requirements would have been adequate.

To test my theory, I moved the RT-52 outside and it seemed to work for the AC68U. Obviously I can't leave the repeater outside since it isn't waterproof.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks

Dale

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:42 AM

Best to run a underground cat6 cable to the barn in plastic conduit.  Then have a AP in the barn.

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:44 PM

You might be interested in this device...

I have one personally and a 100ft is not an issue at all.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:59 PM

+1 wired. Wireless would be sub optimal solution and temperamental. What is price point of project? Do you have anything running between house and barn already? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users