Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft OneDrive lost everything I uploaded

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:24 PM

I keep my files backed up on a flash drive, but I recently thought an online backup would be a good second backup, so I used Microsoft OneDrive.  I uploaded everything I had around January.  Now my laptop is dead, so I'm glad to have backed up my data on my flash drive.  I decided to also go to my OneDrive account to makes sure my data was still there.  When I logged in, I got a message saying my account was suspended due to spamming coming from my account.  Huh?!?!  It also said I can reactivate my account by giving my phone number to which they'd text a 4 digit code that would unlock my account.  I did that, but then was told it would take about an hour before my account became active again.  I checked it again the next day (today) and my account was indeed active again, but it was also completely empty!  All my files are gone!  

So don't count on this service to keep your information safe.  Mine was lost within 6 months.  And yes, I used a very complicated and long password for the account, so there's no way anyone could have hacked it.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 03 June 2016 - 05:44 PM.
Moved from Service providers to 'Backup, imaging, etc'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:32 PM

And yes, I used a very complicated and long password for the account, so there's no way anyone could have hacked it.

It doesn't matter. Passwords alone aren't enough anymore to prevent unauthorized access, you need an additional security step, which 2FA provide. No matter how long or strong your password is, if it gets dumped from another website, bypassed, etc. it's Game Over.

Also, since your OneDrive account works with your Microsoft account which in turn gives you access to all Microsoft services, any of the application logins could have been compromised and the account used for spamming, though it was most likely spam emails.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:32 PM

agree with Aura 100% especially with the "most likely spam emails".

In case this applies to you: Those spam emails need to be deleted on an almost daily basis.

From your Microsoft account you can log in and log out as desired.

However it's the Mail Live Tile that you never get to log out of even when you are logged out of your Microsoft account.

Open the Mail Live Tile, click on More - check your Junk folder & empty it.

When I had created my Microsoft account the Junk folder had more spammed mails than my emails I receive from having signed up as an Insider.

If you are reading your email from the Microsoft Account page, those spam e-mails are there also.

I also empty the Junk folder in there.

I went through Microsoft Community and was told I cannot log out of the Mail Live Tile system so that means my Live Tile Mail is always open. Maybe the above doesn't apply to you but I thought you might be interested in finding out.

The bottom line though I repeat: I agree with Aura 100% especially with the "most likely spam emails".

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:54 PM

Toshiba2015, were you able to get your folders and files copied off of your usb flash drive and onto your hard-drive?

Also, may I suggest you purchase at least one if not two usb 1-3TB external platter-driven hard-drives, download Macrium Reflect, and routinely do at least one if not two full images of your OS and data partitions on a weekly or bi-monthly basis.  Hey, the Cloud is great! for many, however, it is not quite so great if something goes wrong, as it did for you.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:31 PM

Toshiba2015, were you able to get your folders and files copied off of your usb flash drive and onto your hard-drive?

Also, may I suggest you purchase at least one if not two usb 1-3TB external platter-driven hard-drives, download Macrium Reflect, and routinely do at least one if not two full images of your OS and data partitions on a weekly or bi-monthly basis.  Hey, the Cloud is great! for many, however, it is not quite so great if something goes wrong, as it did for you.

I'm not sure which hard drive you're referring to.  I had the files that were on my laptop's hard drive backed up on a flash drive, and then I also uploaded them to OneDrive so I'd not only have them backed up in a physical location (the flash drive), but also in the Cloud (OneDrive).  Now that my laptop is dead, and OneDrive also lost everything, I now only have my flash drive to store my data.  If anything happens to that, I'm screwed.  However, the reason my laptop is dead is because I think the monitor failed.  I ended up disposing of the laptop, but I kept the hard drive and RAM stick from it because I thought those things could be useful later.  Someone here told me that I could buy an adaptor that would allow me to connect my laptop's hard drive to the USB port on any computer.  I'll have to get me one of those.  If it works and my hard drive is still good with my original data on it, then I'd have a second physical location with my data on it.

agree with Aura 100% especially with the "most likely spam emails".

In case this applies to you: Those spam emails need to be deleted on an almost daily basis.

From your Microsoft account you can log in and log out as desired.

However it's the Mail Live Tile that you never get to log out of even when you are logged out of your Microsoft account.

Open the Mail Live Tile, click on More - check your Junk folder & empty it.

When I had created my Microsoft account the Junk folder had more spammed mails than my emails I receive from having signed up as an Insider.

If you are reading your email from the Microsoft Account page, those spam e-mails are there also.

I also empty the Junk folder in there.

I went through Microsoft Community and was told I cannot log out of the Mail Live Tile system so that means my Live Tile Mail is always open. Maybe the above doesn't apply to you but I thought you might be interested in finding out.

The bottom line though I repeat: I agree with Aura 100% especially with the "most likely spam emails".

I don't see anywhere in my OneDrive account page where spam emails (or any other email) could be sent from.  It appears to only be a place where files can be uploaded and stored.

It doesn't matter. Passwords alone aren't enough anymore to prevent unauthorized access, you need an additional security step, which 2FA provide. No matter how long or strong your password is, if it gets dumped from another website, bypassed, etc. it's Game Over.

Also, since your OneDrive account works with your Microsoft account which in turn gives you access to all Microsoft services, any of the application logins could have been compromised and the account used for spamming, though it was most likely spam emails.

I don't know of any "Microsoft Account" that I have.  The only service I appear to have access to is OneDrive.  That's all I signed up for, and it's the only place I ever used the password that I used there.

Edited by Toshiba2015, 04 June 2016 - 01:37 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:44 PM

As long as you have an account to access a Microsoft service (like OneDrive), then you have a Microsoft account (it's the account you're using to access that service).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:55 PM

As long as you have an account to access a Microsoft service (like OneDrive), then you have a Microsoft account (it's the account you're using to access that service).

I guess I don't understand how that works.  All I do is type Onedrive.com into my browser, then I have to enter the email I associate the Onedrive account with (it's a Gmail account) along with a password, and then I'm logged into my Onedrive account, which is now empty.  From there, there are no buttons to click to go to any other Microsoft service.  I'd show you a screenshot of it, but I can't figure out how to attach one to my post

Edited by Toshiba2015, 04 June 2016 - 02:11 PM.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:29 PM

Let's cover the data issue first. You have your data on your USB intact and you want to ensure that data isn't lost.

Do you have another computer yet or at least one you can use in the meantime?

If necessary rely on a relative's or friend's computer.

If so, copy/paste that data onto that computer so your data is saved in 2 places while you decide on what to do next.

Someone told you that you can use an adaptor to connect your laptop's hard drive to the USB port on any computer etc.

Do you know how to do that?

#9 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:35 PM

Let's cover the data issue first. You have your data on your USB intact and you want to ensure that data isn't lost.

Do you have another computer yet or at least one you can use in the meantime?

If necessary rely on a relative's or friend's computer.

If so, copy/paste that data onto that computer so your data is saved in 2 places while you decide on what to do next.

Someone told you that you can use an adaptor to connect your laptop's hard drive to the USB port on any computer etc.

Do you know how to do that?

First issue:  I don't have another computer or access to any other than the ones at the public library, which is where I am now.  As for backing up my flash drive, I have the laptop's internal hard drive, which I assume still has its data intact.

As for that adaptor:  I'm assuming it's just a matter of getting that adaptor and connecting one end to the hard drive and the other end to the USB port of any computer and then I could use it as if it were a flash drive.  Is that correct?  Does the hard drive need it's own power source, or does the USB port provide that.  It has moving parts unlike a flash drive, so that makes me think it would need it's own power source.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:26 PM

On your OneDrive & spam emails issues.

Note I don’t use OneDrive yet as I need to understand how OneDrive works and I haven’t done so yet.

However I believe you are correct, you won’t see “buttons to click to go to any other Microsoft service” when you are in OneDrive.

But it is part of your Microsoft account as well as your Microsoft mail account.

BTW, You have already been in contact with Microsoft, contact them again and ask them about your Microsoft email account: is that what is being spammed and how does it affect your OneDrive account?

If that isn’t the issue, ask them then how can Spam affect your OneDrive account.

Another thing that comes to my mind is that you probably have received email in your Microsoft account pertaining to OneDrive.

I have a Microsoft mail account and in case you are interested when you get another computer this is what I do.

Open the Mail Live Tile

In the upper left corner, mine shows Inbox – Outlook – Mail

Further down in the Folder section, click on More

Look into the Junk folder

If it’s empty, you can leave it alone for the time being

When there is Spam in there, delete them

Also empty the trash folder

Check out all of your other folders while you are there

The Mail Live Tile method does not allow you to sign in or sign out

It’s always even when you are logged out of your Microsoft account and Junk mail can build up very easily

Another method is to use Settings

Click on Accounts

Click on Manage my Microsoft account

Go down to Looking for your Microsoft email? And click on click on View inbox

Check out the junk folder: if any Spam, delete them

Check out the Deleted folder: delete all of them unless you decide to keep any of them

When you are done you can Sign out from the upper right corner.

NOTE: The Mail Live Tile is still live

Myself, I will be checking out Aura’s recommendation in post 2 “you need an additional security step, which 2FA provide ”.

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:12 AM

On the advice that you can use an adapter to connect the laptop's hard drive onto any computer, that is true but you might want to ask that person about the procedure to do so. I only did that once back in the XP days so my experience is very limited. It's very important to do so because it isn't a good idea to rely only on the flash drive and your idea is a good one: you want your data stored in at least 2 places.

#12 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:36 PM

On your OneDrive & spam emails issues.

Note I don’t use OneDrive yet as I need to understand how OneDrive works and I haven’t done so yet.

However I believe you are correct, you won’t see “buttons to click to go to any other Microsoft service” when you are in OneDrive.

But it is part of your Microsoft account as well as your Microsoft mail account.

BTW, You have already been in contact with Microsoft, contact them again and ask them about your Microsoft email account: is that what is being spammed and how does it affect your OneDrive account?

If that isn’t the issue, ask them then how can Spam affect your OneDrive account.

Another thing that comes to my mind is that you probably have received email in your Microsoft account pertaining to OneDrive.

I have a Microsoft mail account and in case you are interested when you get another computer this is what I do.

Open the Mail Live Tile

In the upper left corner, mine shows Inbox – Outlook – Mail

Further down in the Folder section, click on More

Look into the Junk folder

If it’s empty, you can leave it alone for the time being

When there is Spam in there, delete them

Also empty the trash folder

The Mail Live Tile method does not allow you to sign in or sign out

It’s always even when you are logged out of your Microsoft account and Junk mail can build up very easily

Another method is to use Settings

Click on Accounts

Click on Manage my Microsoft account

Go down to Looking for your Microsoft email? And click on click on View inbox

Check out the junk folder: if any Spam, delete them

Check out the Deleted folder: delete all of them unless you decide to keep any of them

When you are done you can Sign out from the upper right corner.

NOTE: The Mail Live Tile is still live

Myself, I will be checking out Aura’s recommendation in post 2 “you need an additional security step, which 2FA provide ”.

I'm in my OneDrive account now and don't see any "Mail Live" tile, so I can't proceed from that point.

Also, Microsoft isn't responding to my emails anymore.  I've explained everything to them and now they no longer respond, which is why I'm now here.  That's how they treat customers--lose their data, then ignore them.

#13 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:38 PM

On the advice that you can use an adapter to connect the laptop's hard drive onto any computer, that is true but you might want to ask that person about the procedure to do so. I only did that once back in the XP days so my experience is very limited. It's very important to do so because it isn't a good idea to rely only on the flash drive and your idea is a good one: you want your data stored in at least 2 places.

So far, I've been told that I just have to plug it into the hdd and the USB port.  Then the files will be accessible as if the hdd was a flash drive.  I went to Best Buy to get the adaptor and found that they charge $40 for the adaptor, which is the same amount I paid for the hard drive.  I passed on it and will look for one elsewhere.  Maybe a used one.  Walmart didn't have any, and Officemax didn't have any in stock when I was there yesterday.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:40 PM

"I'm in my OneDrive account now and don't see any "Mail Live" tile, so I can't proceed from that point."

It isn't in the OneDrive account

I'll see if I can create snapshots for some of the explanations

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:04 PM

I hope I’m explaining this better that was in the Open the Mail Live Tile section in post 10

--- I wanted to post some screenshots but I'll have to review on how to do that.

Left click on the Start button in the lower left corner

The Tiles screen will show up and one of the tiles is for Mail: Open it.

Click on More

Locate the Junk emails so you can go through them

--- You can delete them individually or all at once when you want

Do the same with the Trash folder.

I hope this helps.

Edited by cmptrgy, 06 June 2016 - 07:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users