Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop slows down every 30 Minutes to 1 hour.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dreamie

Dreamie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:17 PM

So i have been having this problem for the past 6 months. i have tried doing everything others have said. Nothing seems to work. but basically my Laptop slows down every 30 Minutes to 1 hour. Sometimes it takes longer then that but mostly it does. it mostly happens when i play games. i know laptops arent ideal for gaming but its what im used to i have had this Laptop for 1 1/2 years. nothing is wrong with it just the slowing down part. So far i have Changed my power option to High and also set the maximum procceser state to 97 Hoping it would give less stress? also i have closed all unwanted programs and Turned off all the startup apps i dont need. i have also changed my windows look to High performance. I also have no external fan to cool but i have a small fan next to me. i old my laptop up with some water bottle caps (it works). it does get hot at times. But i dont think its that. i have defragged my Drives. if that even helps. i scan my laptop almost everyday trying to pinpoint the problem. Nothing really seems to help. i just want to have fun playing games with friends, instead of constantly waiting for my FPS to drop to 7 for about 2 minutes then shoot back up to around 60 -100 FPS it bugs me so much does anyone know how i can maybe fix this? i just want go have fun like the old days.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:03 PM

I see you say you don't think this is a heat problem, but that's sure what it sounds like to me.  Download SpeedFan or equivalent and see what the core temps get up to.  If over 60 degrees C, that's likely your problem.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 870 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:30 PM

I agree with Niweg; but, would add that speedfan won't easily let you track the GPU which you need. HWMonitor is better at that: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hwmonitor.html

And, BTW, almost every modern laptop will slow itself down if it thinks its overheating.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 Dreamie

Dreamie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:46 PM

I was watching it and the hotest the core got was 80 degrees celsius. i think thats bad :S but i dont know how it could be overheating when it is lifted off my desk by about 2 inches and my fan is always on. any programs that could be overheating it?

a screenshot of the task manager: https://gyazo.com/f359da43c6b005879e5a88f745aecd6a

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 870 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:02 PM

Every laptop has a copper tube with one end across the top of the CPU (and often GPU) and the other end having a set of fins that the cooling fan blows through to exhaust the heat out of the laptop. I have seen those fins look like a piece of felt and then, guess what, the fan can't blow any air through it so there isn't any cooling. If this is your problem, you could hoist it to the ceiling and it still wouldn't run cool.
An Intel CPU will rudely turn the PC off if it reaches 97c so you're not that hot yet; but, you should still blow the dirt out of the cooling fins at least once a year.

#6 Dreamie

Dreamie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:10 PM

So i Reset my laptop completly i deleted everything hoping i fixed the problems. it seemed that why as the laptop ran for a good 6 hours then i got so happy but bam. the thing started dropping FPS in the middle fps. Went from 80 - 100 FPS to 5. i got so upset. i checked the internal temps. nothing seemed to be overheating. :C

doesnt make sense. i would just buy a real pc but my family is poor and we cant afford something over $200

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 870 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:31 AM

What O/S is on the laptop?

And what is its make and model?

That's one heck of a laptop for you to be getting those frame rates.

The timing of your issue and the problem just had me think of a different reason; is it possible that MS was ramming Windows 10 down your throat?

#8 Dreamie

Dreamie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:31 AM

I mean it could be. when i reset my laptop a couple of days ago i downgraded back to windows 8.1, it was the OS that originally came with it, but it doesnt support the resolutions i like for my games. if i remember correctly i never had FPS drops with windows 8. So its possible its just windows 10 maybe? if there is some way to play the games i like at the resolution i like i would use windows 8

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 870 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:24 AM

Windows 10 is being rammed down peoples throats, whether they want it or not, and can turn the PC into an absolute dog while it downloads 3+ gigabytes in the background. My thought was that maybe this was what was happening to you.
The monitor resolutions are in the driver's setup files so I think you must have updated the drivers to get different resolutions.
You still haven't said what the make and model is?

#10 Dreamie

Dreamie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:41 AM

I forget how to check the make and model. But what do mean its ramming down people's throats? Also i play csgo normally at 640x480 i know it may sound bad but its what i like and comfortable with. it also helps me with my FPS a lot. But thats only selectable on windows 10. on windows 8 i can only select 800x600 not only does it feel different to me it also have a lot of delay and it bugs me so badly. If there is a way to get my normal 640x480 for CS:GO then ill maybe try Windows 8 again otherwise i dont know what to do :C

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 870 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

MS is forcing the Windows 10 upgrade on millions of users.  It warns you several times; but, then just starts happening.

So, since you just did a reset, why not take the upgrade: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Then you can have your 640X480 back.

#12 Dreamie

Dreamie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:30 PM

Im literally going to punch a bleep hole in  the screen. nothing i do works. im poor i have no money i have really bad social anxiety so i cant get a job to buy a computer i have tried everything but i opened up my laptop to see that the slot where the fan is supposed to be is empty soo? i dont know but i still dont think its that its not  even getting hot at this point. i just have no way to get money.

#13 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 870 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:00 PM

Have you read this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9257-TUJL-7421

#14 Ridernyc

Ridernyc

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:41 PM

Your laptop is overheating and throttling.

The fact that the fan is running full speed and the temp is still hitting 80 C, is in an indication you need to clean your fan and/or reseat the heatsink.

#15 Dreamie

Dreamie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:43 PM

The problem is i have no fan i opened it 2 days ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users