Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

COM Popup / Outlook profile popup

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 michgal2k

michgal2k

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:52 AM

I am getting 2 popups when I start my PC that have never been here before:(  Just started happening a few weeks ago.

I did have a virus, which someone on the Forum helped me get rid of.  I thought that might get rid of the pop ups too but it did not.

I am attaching a screen image of the pop ups.  Please see if you can help me.

On the Outlook profile - I try each time to click the radio button - set as default - but it doesn't appear to be listening.

Frustrated!!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:10 PM

MRL topic not yet closed:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/614348/possible-virus-please-help/page-3 .

Louis

#3 michgal2k

michgal2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:28 AM

It's closed now = can you help me??

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:41 AM

Is this a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 michgal2k

michgal2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:08 AM

64 bit

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:48 AM

Please do the following.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

1.  Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

2.  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

afterstart_zps02764513.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

3.  Click on the General tab.   

4.  Click the Selective startup option. 

5.  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

6.Click on the Services tab. 

7.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

8.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

Do the problems persist?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 michgal2k

michgal2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:10 AM

The COM error appears to be gone! YEAH.  The outlook profile issue still remains.  I tried checking set as default again & rebooting - still comes back.

Hope you have another idea.  Just annoying!

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:31 AM

Ok, don't start jumping for joy, now we need to find the service that's responsible.  This is a process of elimination.

Place checks in half of the service boxes and restart the computer.  If the problem returns, then on of the services in that half is responsible.  If it didn't return, remove the checks that you added, then place checks in the other half of the boxes, then restart the computer.

Once you determine which half this service is in places checks in half of those services.

Basically you will keep reducing the number of services and restart the computer until you find the service responsible for this.  Once you find this service  post what it is in your topic.

#9 michgal2k

michgal2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:27 AM

Silly or stupid question - but each time I do this - go offline?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:47 AM

I would think that it didn't matter, but it may be quicker if you just addressed the clean boot.

#11 michgal2k

michgal2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:51 AM

but it may be quicker if you just addressed the clean boot. - what does that mean

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

It means that if you are online doing other things it will take time away from completing the clean boot to find the service causing this problem.

#13 michgal2k

michgal2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:43 PM

Mission control, we have a problem!
I am unable to reboot pc. Went back to msconfig first 2 trues were fine. 3rd try, it won't reboot. Even tried safe mode and safe mode with command prompt.
Hope you have an idea

#14 michgal2k

michgal2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

When booting up, I can't get past starting windows. Just a black screen.

#15 michgal2k

michgal2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:55 PM

OK I got everything back - even the COM error:)  FYI - ended up going to F8 then choosing last known configuration.  Got me back online!!

I must say that when I disabled everything, then enabled a page at a time (not counting the Microsoft items) - I never got the error.  Found that strange.

Once I got back online - I went back into MSCONFIG and on the general tab - selected Normal Startup - now the COM error is back. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users