Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton vs Emsisoft

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Enterprise256

Enterprise256

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:01 AM

Which one is better and why?

I need to get 4 - 5 Windows devices and 5 - 6 Android devices covered and that's either Norton Security Premium or Emsisoft Internet Security and Mobile Security.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:08 PM

All you're going to get here are opinions based on the experience users have the products. Therefore, my recommendation would be to go with Emsisoft. I've dealt with Norton a lot in the past (and even today), and it's still not worth being used as an everyday Antivirus. There's a lot of work to be done. Even today, it finds itself in hot waters...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/symantec-antivirus-products-vulnerable-to-horrid-overflow-bug/

Emsisoft employees are also actively involved in the online support community (mostly malware removal): Elise, a Malware Analyst for Emsisoft is BleepingComputer's Study Hall Admin, Fabian Wosar, the CTO lurks BleepingComputer and keep on writing decrypters for new Ransomware every time it's possible and offer full assistance in the threads here as well. And I'm not even talking about their own forums where they offer support and free malware removal. Like quietman says, there's no amount of money that can buy that much dedication, and in my opinion, companies like Emsisoft and Malwarebytes have shown it many, many times.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:59 PM

Although Norton (Symantec) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, IMO it is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers.

As such, I agree with Aura and would recommend Emsisoft.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:59 AM

One more vote for Emsisoft here, if only because Emsisoft is less prone to problems, has better AM detection and better support.

#5 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:30 AM

In my first year as a novice pc user in 2013, I had multiple malware issues whilst using N360 as my one and only AV suite.

Ok, for sure, some of these problems were bought on by my own naivety at a time when I was nowhere near as tech/security savvy as I am now (thanks to BleepingComputer! :thumbup2:). Having a keen interest in music as well as being generally internet-curious, I foolishly made use of Bearshare, one or two rogue extensions, a whole host of P.U.P.'s and clicked on a few too many malicious drive-by ads and web pages during that time, something which I rarely, if ever, do now. There were times that my pc was riddled with both malware and adware, overheated and on occasion, wouldn't even shut down! How my notebook survived this first few months, I'll never know!

My point is that, despite my early-days naivety, looking back I'd have expected better protection (as a beginner) from (what I was led to believe to be!) was a paid-for bells-and-whistles all-singing all-dancing security protection suite!

Edited by robby501, 04 June 2016 - 05:48 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:33 AM

Even today most folks don't realize they that an anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything.

Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution with real-time protection for maximum protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users