Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 will not update

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 wxman1

wxman1

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:46 AM

Last time my computer was turned was in January.  It started fine but when I clicked in windows update, it began searching but never found anything no matter how long it searched.  Tried Mr Fixit and downloaded a MS trouble shooter but neither helped although the MS trouble shooter says it fixed a registry key and problems with recent updates,  Tried other suggestions from  this forum but still  no updates. I then went back to  a restore point made in Sep. last year.  Tried the update process again but with the  same results, searching but never finding any updates.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:29 AM

Hi,

Let's start by checking the Windows System files integrity

• open the Command Prompt as Administrator (Tutorial)
  • type the following command and press Enter:
    sfc /scannow

Note: This may take some time to finish.

let me know if it doesn't say "No integrity violations found"

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 wxman1

wxman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:42 PM

No integrity violations found

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

No integrity violations found

Ok. Download and install the Windows Update Rollup from May 2016 visit the Microsoft Update Catalog here using Internet Explorer and download the update KB3125574 that matches the Windows 7 you have (32 or 64 bits).

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 wxman1

wxman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:17 PM

Am unable to  use Windows Explorer.  Currently  have ver.  11 but get "this page can't be displayed" on any website except www.msn.com. Once there, I can look at weather, entertainment, sports, etc. but no other website I can find.  Even a Bing search for Windows Update Rollup from May 2016 results in "cant be displayed". Both Chrome and Firefox working fine.

#6 wxman1

wxman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:27 PM

Strangely, about two hours after I wrote the above response, the computer stated that there were 106 updates for windows.  I have been messing around for 3 days to get that response.  Internet Explorer is working fine as well after the updates were installed.  The only thing I can figure is that your first request must have resolved whatever was hanging the update process up.  Thanks for your help.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:34 AM

Good. Sometimes Windows Update takes a long time on Windows 7 to do the work, 106 updates it's a big number and most likely the reason for the long search.

___
Rui

#8 wxman1

wxman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:00 AM

One other question....  A couple of years ago I installed Ubuntu on the computer and a dual boot was created.  I apparently made a mistake and Ubuntu comes up first rather than Windows so I have to be right there at restart to skip to the Windows boot.  How difficult is it to either remove the dual boot or change it so that Windows is the default boot?  I am not that familiar with Linux.

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:23 AM

Follow instructions at below website link to remove Linux OS.

How to Uninstall a Linux Dual-Boot System From Your Computer

http://www.howtogeek.com/141818/how-to-uninstall-a-linux-dual-boot-system-from-your-computer/

Posted Image

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:06 AM

One other question....  A couple of years ago I installed Ubuntu on the computer and a dual boot was created.  I apparently made a mistake and Ubuntu comes up first rather than Windows so I have to be right there at restart to skip to the Windows boot.  How difficult is it to either remove the dual boot or change it so that Windows is the default boot?  I am not that familiar with Linux.

See this guide on either setting Windows as the default at boot or saving the last booted OS.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/52963/how-do-i-set-windows-to-boot-as-the-default-in-the-boot-loader

#11 wxman1

wxman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:26 PM

If I am not concerned about losing the partition that Ubuntu is in, can I create and use a windows 7 repair disk and just overwrite the dual boot so that it boots with windows?

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:02 PM

If I am not concerned about losing the partition that Ubuntu is in, can I create and use a windows 7 repair disk and just overwrite the dual boot so that it boots with windows?

You asking question that i already answered by giving you Url link to a website which explains how to remove Linux partition and set Windows boot manager as default.

Posted Image

#13 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:50 PM

Understand that Linux uses a different file system and boot loader, so you need to carefully follow the Linux experts if you don't want your computer not to boot at all.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#14 wxman1

wxman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:19 PM

Still having problems with Windows 7.  Everything I have tried works okay except I noticed Adobe reader was missing.  I attempted to download it but the process does not finish.  At the end it brings Internet Explorer up although I began with Chrome.

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:31 PM

That is strange if you download a file with any other web browser no other web browser including Internet Explorer will take over the download process maybe file you downloaded is save as HTML file and Internet Explorer opens the file when you click open button. Check the Download folder to see if file is downloaded and is it executable file.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users