Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft office won't open.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JONES113

JONES113

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:01 AM

When I try to open an office application I get this error message.

Something went wrong. We couldn't start your program. Please try starting it again. If it won't start, try repairing Office from 'Programs and Features' in the Control Panel.

When I try to change or uninstall in control panel nothing happens. I noticed as it's listed in the control panel programs it says it was installed 5/30/2016 and the file size is blank. This is office 2013 so I've had it for a few years and it just started this yesterday.

Also, when I try to open an existing document an additional error message pops up that says, There was a problem sending the command to the program.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't think anything has changed on my computer over the last few days, except a couple of windows updates.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:22 PM

If you have the installation media for Office 2013 you could uninstall it and re-install it - this will not affect your documents and other work as they are not stored along with the program files.

Alternatively, if this problem started recently, you could try restoring Windows to a time before this problem started and see if that fixes the problem.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:42 PM

Microsoft has a removal tool you can download and install. This MS article describes 3 methods to uninstall office. #2 covers their fix-it tool

#4 JONES113

JONES113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:27 PM

Thank you. A system restore did the trick.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for telling us what fixed it, and I'm glad you got it sorted.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users