Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows doesn't show my monitors native resolution.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Snajpi

Snajpi

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:58 AM

Hello, I had a dual monitor setup going for about a month and then it just pooped and my first monitor didnt have its native resolution.

It changed into 1024x768 ( native ) instead of 1440x900 ( native ), and didnt show 1440x900 as a resolution in windows's resolutions.

I tried forcing it with Nvidia's Control Panel and setting a non-supported 1440x900 but it just made it into a square and had black bars on the sides.

Its connected with a DVI-VGA adapter and lets me have resolutions up to 2560x1600 for some reason.

When plugged in with a HDMI-VGA adpater it lets me have 1440x900 but goes black every 1-3 seconds and teleports my cursor to the middle of the screen.

When the second monitor is plugged in via HDMI-VGA adapter it works perfectly, when with DVI-VGA it doesnt even get any signals.

I tried swapping hte DVI-VGA adapter for an another one but it didnt help.

Please help!

Edited by Snajpi, 03 June 2016 - 05:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:53 PM

First thought that came to mind was a W10 download of an "upgraded" driver, several months ago after updating to W10 1511, after a reboot my display was at 800x600 and nothing else was available. Once I figured out it was a driver downloaded along with the W10 update, I reinstalled the previous driver and rebooted. Things came back up the way they were before, 1600x900.

You might check if you've had an updated video driver(s) recently, that'd be the easiest thing, roll back to the previous driver and your settings come back. Other than that I'm not too sure what might be a fix.
Steve

#3 Snajpi

Snajpi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

First thought that came to mind was a W10 download of an "upgraded" driver, several months ago after updating to W10 1511, after a reboot my display was at 800x600 and nothing else was available. Once I figured out it was a driver downloaded along with the W10 update, I reinstalled the previous driver and rebooted. Things came back up the way they were before, 1600x900.

You might check if you've had an updated video driver(s) recently, that'd be the easiest thing, roll back to the previous driver and your settings come back. Other than that I'm not too sure what might be a fix.

Im pretty sure that its not the drivers, i used DDU to uninstall them, then i installed and did it like twice with drivers that nvidia tech support gave me.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:40 AM

Did you perform a clean install of the nVidia drivers?  This is most likely a driver issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users