Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BlackScreen during mild to intense gaming.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Vedo

Vedo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:26 AM

System Specs

CPU: AMD FX 8350

RAM: 16GB

GPU: GTX 970

Dual Screen: 1-1680x1050 DVI ; 2-1440x900 VGA

Water Cooling System (Newly Installed): XSPC Raystorm D5 EX360

PSU: Rosewill Bronze 1000W

So I've been running into this problem for a bout a year trying everything that I know how to do to fix it. Thus far nothing has worked. It started when I installed Witcher 3. I started the intro to the game everything seemed fine, looked pretty, etc. I walked towards an open door leading out to a balcony looking at a mountainous landscape. Then BOOM!!! both screens go black... I could still hear sounds from the game for a little while. Also pressing a button would make a sound occasionally. I had no idea what was going on, then my comp beeped 3 times. So I restarted my computer and reloaded the game. Went out the door again; same result. So this time I lowered the graphics, which upset me mostly cause I feel my rig should be able to handle the demand of higher quality :/  With the graphics tweaked I was able to look out the balcony so I continued on. Unfortunately I had to keep adjusting the settings when it kept going black screen all throughout the tutorial. Pretty much made the game unplayable to me. I did some hardware testing to see if I could single out the culprit. The only thing I found was a dent on one of my RAM sticks, so I bought a new one and tried again. Still happened, but the beeping stopped so the stick might have been a part? Idk. Gave up playing it and went on my way. Then it started happening more frequently with different games. I was just confused at that point. The only other thing I could think of was possibly my GPU failing (seems unlikely being only a year old) or my CPU over heating. So in another desperate attempt to fix the issue I bought a water cooling unit for my processor. Still did not F*&#ING fix it... So at this point I really don't know where to look towards. I appreciate any help that anyone can provide and sorry for the long explanation haha XD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 795 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:32 AM

First, make sure you have cleaned the graphics card cooling. Take the card out and look in through the fan(s). If you see accumulated dust, blow backwards through the exhaust with a can of dust-off/blow-off.
Afterwards, get and run a copy of Furmark which will stress test the GPU and show you the temps. Stop it if they reach 90 degrees Celsius!
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 Vedo

Vedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

First, make sure you have cleaned the graphics card cooling. Take the card out and look in through the fan(s). If you see accumulated dust, blow backwards through the exhaust with a can of dust-off/blow-off.
Afterwards, get and run a copy of Furmark which will stress test the GPU and show you the temps. Stop it if they reach 90 degrees Celsius!
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

I just did a complete clean/dusting of the entire case and components before installing the water cooling system. I attached my results from furmark. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 795 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:38 AM

The Furmark results look fine so I think you need to try a few other games.

#5 Vedo

Vedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

The Furmark results look fine so I think you need to try a few other games.

Its happened on more than one game. Usually when I've been gaming for several hours. Other times though with Witcher 3 and games like Paragon I could have just started the game but as soon as I look at the wrong thing it will black screen again. I thought/hoped that it was just the CPU overheating which is why i installed the water cooling unit. Unfortunately it still happened.

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 795 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:51 AM

Who made the GTX 970 card ( a model number would be nice)?

And, does it happen if you play on the other monitor?

#7 Vedo

Vedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:10 PM

Who made the GTX 970 card ( a model number would be nice)?

And, does it happen if you play on the other monitor?

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-2972-KR 4GB             Yes it does.

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 795 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:37 AM

EVGA page for that card: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2972-KR

And now, exactly how are the monitors connected? 

There is no VGA port on that card so something is not kosher here.  Windows periodically checks to see if any of the hardware has changed and I'm thinking it doesn't like how those monitors are connected.  Often, "adapters" can be pure poison so I want to know about any or any cables with different ends.

#9 Vedo

Vedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:51 PM

Yea the smaller monitor is connected with a VGA cable using a DVI adapter. The bigger monitor that I use for all my gaming is a DVI-I cable.  I got to say I've used those adapters all the time with other pcs and have never had a problem. This is honestly the first time that I've heard that they could be bad. I mean they send those adapters with the video cards themselves, It just seems odd that it would be bad for it.

Edited by Vedo, 06 June 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#10 Vedo

Vedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:56 PM

Yea the smaller monitor is connected with a DVI adapter. I got to say I've used those adapters all the time with other pcs and have never had a problem. This is honestly the first time that I've heard that they could be bad. I mean they send those adapters with the video cards themselves, It just seems odd that it would be bad for it.

Just thought about it but I have also had just the HDMI connected to my smart tv and it has happened on there as well.

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 795 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:24 PM

If its the DVI-I to VGA adapter you're talking about, I don't think its the problem.
But; unplugging and plugging in different monitors/displays could be. Windows and the NVIDIA drivers both check to see if something has changed periodically and that could explain the issue.
To test that, do this:
1) Unplug the DVI-D monitor and any other cables that might be plugged into the video card leaving only the VGA monitor connected.
2) Do WinKey+X, click on Run and, in the box type CMD<enter>
3) In the CMD Window, type:
set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1<enter>
devmgmt.msc<enter>
4) In the device manager, click View -> Show hidden devices.
Expand the Monitors section then right-click and uninstall every grayed out monitor listed.
5) Reboot and see if the problem is gone.

#12 Vedo

Vedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:22 PM

If its the DVI-I to VGA adapter you're talking about, I don't think its the problem.
But; unplugging and plugging in different monitors/displays could be. Windows and the NVIDIA drivers both check to see if something has changed periodically and that could explain the issue.
To test that, do this:
1) Unplug the DVI-D monitor and any other cables that might be plugged into the video card leaving only the VGA monitor connected.
2) Do WinKey+X, click on Run and, in the box type CMD<enter>
3) In the CMD Window, type:
set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1<enter>
devmgmt.msc<enter>
4) In the device manager, click View -> Show hidden devices.
Expand the Monitors section then right-click and uninstall every grayed out monitor listed.
5) Reboot and see if the problem is gone.

I believe that your solution may have solved the issue, I went to several locations in the game that would usually cause the error and nothing happened. My hopes are high but they have been before and got crushed lol, I will send an update in a week or so if it is still good or if it fails before then. Thank you for all your help DavisMcCarn!!

#13 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 795 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:59 PM

So the big question if this does work for a while is which display caused the issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users