Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to install BIOS?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Angbblue

Angbblue

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:21 AM

Hi. I'm trying to fix my friends laptop. It is a Toshiba Qosmio x875-Q7380. I entered the computers info. in my profile where my computer information goes. He upgraded his OS to Windows 10 about 6 months ago and hasn't had any trouble with it. 

The computer turns on but wont boot up. I originally thought the RTC battery was bad and replaced it. I am doubting that is the problem now, but I need to follow through with my current repair before I explore any other troubleshooting options. 

My question is that now that I have installed the new RTC battery the computer still won't boot. I've read online that in certain cases the BIOS software needs to be installed after changing the battery. Is this true? If so, how would I make the computer accept and install the software if I can't change the boot order? 

I also read something about resetting the CMOS which just seems insane to me, and I'm not willing to try, so I really hope that I don't have to do that in order to fix it. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Thank you in advance for any help you might give me.

sig_zpssbt5rtdf.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:21 PM

You can reset the CMOS by removing the RTC battery, the laptop battery and the AC Adapter for about 30 seconds.

When changing the RTC battery you will likely lose any custom settings in the BIOS.
On most laptops this means that the date and time will be reset to the default (which won't be current).

Are you able to get into the BIOS to change the settings?  I believe the key to use is F2, although you may be able to use F12 and select the Setup option there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Angbblue

Angbblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:30 PM

Hi. Thank you very much for taking your time to help me. The computer powers on but won't boot up. I tried using my PC monitor on the laptop but it still didn't work. I thought the problem might be a bad CMOS (RTC) battery so I replaced the laptops battery. I was thinking that I might or might not need to install software as well. After reading the information you sent me here, I now know that the battery was not causing the problem. 

Now I'm back to square one needing to figure out what is broken. The laptops owner upgraded his Windows 8 to Windows 10 about 6 months ago. He said it wasn't causing him any problems. I asked him about any type of error messages. There wasn't any that he could recall. The inside of the laptop was amazingly clean but I didn't disassemble it past the point of locating the RTC battery.Shortly before the computer broke he called me complaining that it was running exceptionally slow. A few days later it started crashing and he heard the fan kind of like surging running really fast for a few seconds, stopping, fast for a few seconds, stopping. He was able to get it to boot up a few more times by repeatedly turning the power off by power button and on until it worked. It won't even do that now, but I can still hear the fan run about 3 seconds, stop, 3 seconds, stop....There is no beeping or other sounds when I turn power on. It powers on fine when I disconnect the AC power cord. 

At this point I'm not sure what I need to do to figure out what is broken. Is there any other ways I can test it without swapping parts? If I actually need to use working hardware to diagnose it, does anyone have any suggestions where I can find inexpensive test parts that will work in this particular laptop? I've noticed that there is a shortage of information online about this specific x875 Qosmio. I couldn't even find a web site that showed a exact tutorial on how to disassemble the thing.

sig_zpssbt5rtdf.png

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:17 AM

the fan run about 3 seconds, stop, 3 seconds, stop....It powers on fine when I disconnect the AC power cord.

If the laptop operates normally on battery power but cannot boot up when using the mains adapter, the adapter is almost certainly faulty. There is a small possibility that the circuitry in the laptop that switches between battery and external PSU has a problem, but 99% likelihood it is the PSU itself (bad capacitors usually). If you want to be 100% certain you'd need to find someone with the same PSU to borrow & try, but most likely you just need a new adapter.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:58 AM

Here is the service manual and chapter 4 has the disassembly instructions:
https://www.scribd.com/doc/153220550/Toshiba-Qosmio-X870-X875-X70-X75-Service-Manual
I; though, suspect the NVidia video has fried.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 Angbblue

Angbblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:02 AM

Hi. Thank you very much for the link to the service manual. We had a slight miscommunication. I have not seen the computer boot up since my friend left it here with me. He said he was able to get it to boot sometimes by repeatedly turning the power off and on and after awhile it would just boot. I have not tried to get it to boot by turning it off and on, but I'm certain I've turned the power off and on enough over the course of trying to fix it to say that it is not going to boot up.

Anyway, I'm thinking that your diagnosis of a fried video card sounds logical. Do you think the card would smell like burnt wires, or look different if that were the case? Also, the laptop has 3 little red lights that come on when I turn on the power. The third light does not come on anymore. It used to. But I haven't seen it light up once since it quit booting up. Does that have any significant meaning? And one last question please. If the laptop needs a new video card, I'm willing to bet the existing card will be expensive to replace. If I wanted to buy a different video card for it would I just search for " Video cards for Qosmio X875 laptops"

Thank you again for your help. I appreciate it so much. You have made this so much easier for me. It really takes a bit of searching online to be able to weed out the correct information from the crap. I'm off to go read a service manual :)

Have a great day

sig_zpssbt5rtdf.png

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,236 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:32 AM

Keep in mind that if the PSU is faulty, it will also not charge the battery while the system cannot power up, although it may while the unit is not trying to boot. I suggest it's not a good idea to simply guess about things, follow a logical process of trial to confirm exactly what behavior is occurring.

Confirm what the laptop does from battery alone, and from mains without the battery fitted. This is because if the battery has shorted cells, it could pull the PSU output down and cause the symptoms you have. As I already observed, it really helps diagnosis if you can chance to be able to try a good PSU, or test if the PSU you're using operates another unit or not.

If you're able to satisfy yourself that the PSU and battery are OK, and the fault must be in the laptop, then as suggested, the video card is a candidate (although other things can be also). Seems that unit should have an MXM video card fitted, unlike many less capable units with video integrated on the mainboard. That being the case, I would expect it should be possible to check if the video card is the cause by removing it, and seeing if the laptop will boot and use the Intel video.

It seems a replacement is likely to be expensive, example:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/For-Toshiba-QOSMIO-X875-VGA-Video-Card-Board-V000280680-graphics-cards-fully-tested/825924_1227587813.html

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:06 AM

That part is way cheaper on EBay; but, the I7-3630QM has an Intel HD4000 video built-in so, while its not clear whether it would work, given the cost of the video card, I'd take the card out, fudge it back together enough to be safe turning it on (with no hard disk drive), and try it. If it worked, then:
1) The system uses hybrid graphics meaning it switches to the video card when needed.
2) We'd know it was the video card.
Is the owner a gamer? If the answer is no, he might be happy if you left the card out (be careful to insulate that heatsink so it doesn't short out!)
If the answer is yes, here is a better cost on a card that should work fine:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-X870-Qosmio-Nvidia-GTX-765M-2GB-GDDR5-MXM-3-0b-/301941601935?hash=item464d1f368f:g:h-MAAOSweW5VcaSV

#9 Angbblue

Angbblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:36 PM

Thank you Davis. The video card is dedicated. I'm not sure if that applies to the fact that it's hybrid or not....I've taken my PC apart more times than I can count but only to clean it. The PC elementary to me compared to this laptop. I have a long way to go before fudging anything would be an option. It will boot up without the hard disk drive if the rest of the hardware is good? Even that makes no sense to me. I'm going to sell the laptop if I can get it working again. It's a nice laptop and flight simulator is about as rough as it has ever played. Thank you very much for the advice and the link for the graphics card. I appreciate you taking your time to help me.

Hi Platypus

Even though I was totally wrong, changing the RTC battery was a very simple job in which I didn't have to go too far outside my comfort zone of knowledge. Removing the video card to see if Intel alone would boot it up is something I would actually try if needed. The service manual you sent me the link to would have the information to walk me through it. This particular model has integrated on board graphics. I'm going to go find a PSU to test it today. If it and the battery are ok, I just remembered I have a friend who I haven't talked to in a long time who knows how to do all of this. He also has enough patience to teach me, and answer my endless questions until I "get it". 

Well, I think my work here is done   :smash:  This computer will work again. It will haunt me until it is fixed. Once again I thank you for taking your time to help. You have a great talent at this. Correct me if I'm wrong, it seems to me that having the technical knowledge to help people fix their computers online is the easy part. Being able to communicate to each individual on his or her level of understanding, in my opinion would be very tedious. That's all. 

Have a great day & hugs to you.

sig_zpssbt5rtdf.png

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,236 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:59 PM

We're glad to be able to help, there's a lot of satisfaction in it. (It was Davis who linked you to the service manual.) If you have a friend who can offer some on the spot assistance, that sounds like a good option, but feel free to pop back with any further queries you may have.

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:56 AM

According to that model's specs and the service manual, the NVidia GTX760M card is an MXM 3.0B card that can be removed. MXM is a quasi standard that was adopted several years ago to allow for replacing (or even upgrading) the GPU. Its underneath a somewhat monolithic heatsink that also covers the CPU chip which is why I said you should insulate the bottom of the heatsink if it works without the MXM video card. Toshiba, BTW, offered the 870/875 without the add-on video card which is why I said it might work.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_PCI_Express_Module

#12 Angbblue

Angbblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:07 PM

Hi Davis

OK. I found what I thought was the exact same computer on ebay and was relying on the information there. I totally believe the information provided in the service manual. I want to thank you very much for that link. That service manual has everything about the Quismo x875 organized right there.  I got you and Platypus mixed up for a minute. 

I know about thermal paste and have a tube of it. My PC has a huge heatsink on it. I tear it apart every few months to clean it. Thank you for reminding me. I know it is important. That's great about the video card. I haven't had time to tinker with the laptop yet but if the PSU and battery test to be good, I'll try what you are suggesting next. Thank you very much for your help. You guys are awesome!

Ang

sig_zpssbt5rtdf.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users