Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No post-Win7 disc will boot (WinPE 4)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:35 AM

I would like to try to install an OS that isn't XP on an old gaming PC I have, but don't have any Win7 licences.

The system will not however boot anything Win8 or later (i.e. WinPE 4 based). I've looked into the requirements, and it has the NX-bit which was the only thing that I thought might be stopping it. It's a while since I tried, but I believe it would get to the Windows logo and not show the spinning dots.

I've tried a few versions of Win8 & 10, some were betas, x86 or 64, via USB or DVD. (I can try all my copies and report what they all do)

Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.2 GHz

4x1 GB DDR RAM

2x CrossFire Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 512 MB

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500 GB 3.5" SATA HDD

(has used other HDDs in the past)

Ultra X-Finity DR 600W PSU

Has run XP Home Edition SP3 and Linux Mint 17.2 in the past without major issue.

One item worth noting may be the Phanteks AM2 cooler with a pair of hackjob adapter plates for the 939 2-screw design.

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users