Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Starting Xp B/c Of New Hard Drive!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lembee87

Lembee87

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:39 PM

alright so here's the situation I got into. After partitioning my new hard drive i made the mistake of installing Windows XP on my new hard drive too. Now whenever I try to start up windows xp this error occurs: This file is missing or corrupt: <Window Root>\system32\hal.dll how can i get my OS to work like normal again? (b/c now it doesn't work at all)!!

Things i tried:
1.Replacing the hal.dll file with another working hal.dll file on the C:/windows/system32 :thumbsup:
2.Repairing the Old hard drive :flowers:
3.changing different boot confiqs in BIOS :trumpet:
4.taking out harddrive/unpartitioning new hard drive :inlove:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:11 PM

try using the windows recovery console if you have your xp disk, once you have the console up and running try the fixboot command and the fixmbr command and see if you can get your system working again, details on how to install and use the recovery console here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/

good luck

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:15 PM

See if one of these helps:
Error Message: Cannot Find \Windows\System32\hal.dll

"Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start" error messages when you start your computer
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:45 PM

Is this drive a slave drive or your master drive?

If you formatted the hard drive with the Windows XP installation disk (full install - not upgrade) you obviously had an error installing XP.

Do the installation again choosing the full format NTFS, not the quick format option, and install XP on the active partition.
Physically disconnect all peripherals and the internet connection except for the keyboard and mouse (connected to PS2 ports not USB ports) and the monitor.

Edited by Enthusiast, 09 August 2006 - 08:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users