Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange issues after windows 10 restore

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 moisttowllette3

moisttowllette3

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:13 AM

Hello i recently got a virus and noticed significant cpu usage and system slowing so I wiped my entire computer clean using the windows 10 restore option. So far my performance has been fixed but I notice chrome takes at least 20 seconds to launch and loads webpages slower along with this folder under users called 'Public' that is nearly two gigabytes when I look at its properties but has nothing in it which makes me very suspicious. Also I went to sleep and left my computer on but when I woke up the power button was blinking with the screen black I clicked it and it booted up and I was gonna shut it back down then it said 'You and others might lose work if you shut down your computer.' So tldr my computer is still sorta slow on chrome and i think there might be another user on it somehow. Dont know if this is the right place to post. Please help.

EDIT #1: Still noticing some signifcant slowdowns. The problem might be entirely hardware related

EDIT #2: When I initially launch windows everything runs fine and fast then it gets really slow as if some programs are being launched or something. 

Edited by moisttowllette3, 03 June 2016 - 04:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:06 PM

If your hard drive has developed some bad sectors, that could cause what you describe.  I'd check the hard drive.  Start the File Manager, right-click the C: drive and click Properties.  Then click the Tools tab and click the box that says CHECK.  This will likely require a reboot and can run as long as an hour or two, so do it when you can spare the time.

By the way, if you put Windows on an SSD, you can really speed things up.  You can buy 240 GB SSDs nowadays for as little as $60.

Good luck.

Edited by Niweg, 03 June 2016 - 12:08 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 moisttowllette3

moisttowllette3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:54 PM

If your hard drive has developed some bad sectors, that could cause what you describe.  I'd check the hard drive.  Start the File Manager, right-click the C: drive and click Properties.  Then click the Tools tab and click the box that says CHECK.  This will likely require a reboot and can run as long as an hour or two, so do it when you can spare the time.

By the way, if you put Windows on an SSD, you can really speed things up.  You can buy 240 GB SSDs nowadays for as little as $60.

Good luck.

I already run windows on an SSD and ill check it

EDIT #1: No errors were found on all my drives.

EDIT #2: I am beginning to think the issue is completely hardware related. I cleaned all the dust out of my rig and its running at least 60% better now but there are still subtle slowdowns at times. My processor may just not be performing correctly. It is an i5-3470 and I have had it since 2013. Could this be the cpu just getting old? I also have 8 gigs of ram with a gtx 970.

Edited by moisttowllette3, 04 June 2016 - 05:26 AM.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:01 AM

It's extremely rare for an Intel CPU to "just get old".  If it's been through a number of power surges, that could possibly damage it, but under normal conditions I'd be much stronger inclined to think you've got some kind of error recovery or hard drive activity causing slowdowns.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 moisttowllette3

moisttowllette3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:54 AM

It's extremely rare for an Intel CPU to "just get old".  If it's been through a number of power surges, that could possibly damage it, but under normal conditions I'd be much stronger inclined to think you've got some kind of error recovery or hard drive activity causing slowdowns.  

Good luck.

It has actually been through some power surges but yeah I'll look into that further. Thank you for your help I think its not really that big of an issue now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users