Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apartment Charges a fee on top of monthly ISP charges.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 boomdig

boomdig

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:09 PM

I live in an apartment complex where we have no choice about our TV and internet and land line provider. Originally it was Verizon and then they sold out to Frontier. On my lease I pay an extra 45 bucks for TV and internet and phone service and then pay the monthly charges from Frontier. I think it is kind of like double dipping having to pay a monthly fee to the complex and then pay my total fee to my TV and internet and telephone provider. I really haven't looked into this but it seems illegal if not immoral. Like where does the money   I pay the complex go for services when I pay full price to Frontier? I am collecting and live off of SS Disability that controls my rent. To that I am very grateful.This monthly fee for TV, phone and internet they charge on my lease just doesn't seem kosher. Any ideas on whom I could contact to look into this? To me it's like double dipping. When I already pay Frontier a monthly charge why am I paying, for the right?, to have services that I pay the total charge for every month. Frontier wouldn't comment. Hey they are getting their money, I understand how they would not like to get involved, but where and why is this fee charged by the complex for the right to have their services?
I have my new lease coming up in a month and was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or help on this monthly fee the complex charges.
Thanks for any info.

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:23 AM

I would ask the rental agency/landlord/property management individual to explain in detail what the 45 dollar charge is for. If I had to guess it's likely an excessive fee to cover inside wiring and cabling within your housing complex. But you might want to speak to disability housing advocate to assist you with your tenant rights.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:12 PM

what is the monthly fee described as in your lease? since a lease is a legal document it must be very specific, as any part of it being vague leaves room for interpretation by the party who did not draw it up

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:15 PM

May want to call your ISP and ask them about it too. If they make you pay anyway, it's possible secondary fee with apartment complex is just going into someone's pocket. Possible complex had agreement with Verizon but that doesn't appier to Frontier so you shouldn't have to pay it anymore if it doesn't get you anything. I speak from a ethical standpoint. I am unsure how local law applies.

#5 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:31 PM

After a lot of digging and quiet inquiries I found that when Verizon was here it was a double dip situation. Now with Frontier, they have nothing to do with the cable. It still comes from the same source as before and is DirecTV connected. Appreciate the insights as they pointed me in the right direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users