Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'0xc000021a' dead error

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Campo1988

Campo1988

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:03 PM

By "dead" I mean it is not doing anything.

Hi. I started my Samsung laptop today to find the entitled error. No "help" I have come across has worked, especially on microbrain's website. It says it is collecting some "error info" and has not moved from 0% since it started nearly 25 minutes ago. As soon as I saw it I knew it was a fake non-error, not doing anything, and certainly not fixing anything.

Pressing F8 is ignored by this wonderful piece of nothing, and I can't make the drive work via a USB dock using another windose OS on another drive, either.

How can I fix it?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Campo1988

Campo1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:14 PM

I'm on mobile so I can't see the edit button.

I don't have this installation disc and I can't make a boot USB disk, either, because I can't get into it st all. It keeps on either going to the Samsung splash screen with the rotating icon then not doing anything, yo the error/error info-"collecting" screen immediately where it reboots immediately and alleges to try again, or it mentions it is "preparing automatic repair", which I don't know why it's called that because it does NOTHING automatically/by default, and does NOT repair ANYTHING.

#3 Campo1988

Campo1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:16 AM

I left it on overnight and it was at 100%, still saying to restart. I pressed CTRL, ALT, and DEL but it didn't do anything so I pressed the power button, then turned it back on. It said "preparing automatic repair" again, went to the "error info" screen but rebooted immediately itself. After that, it waited on the Samsung splashscreen with the spinning icon for a couple of minutes which doesn't do anything, then it went back to alleging to collect "error info" and it stayed on there at 100% again not doing anything.

Please help.

#4 Campo1988

Campo1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:46 PM

Bump. Can someone help?

#5 Campo1988

Campo1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:45 PM

No, they can't.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:19 AM

You have five posts in this topic which makes it look like it has been addressed.  This is probably why you have not received any responses.

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

To find sfc /scannow log, reopen the Elevated Command Prompt using the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key method outlined in the instructions above. 

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the following in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click/tap on this to open the log, copy and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Campo1988

Campo1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:54 AM

...I can't get into it at all...

Please read my post. I can't get into the "operating" system at all. It keeps repeating...read my posts.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:39 AM

I don't know what you were hoping to accomplish by pressing F8.  If you were trying to boot into Safe Mode, that ain't gonna happen in Windows 8/8.1.  The operating system boots too fast to use this feature, so Microsoft left it out.  You can set the operating system up to boot into Safe Mode, but this has to be done with Windows running.

You have not provided enough information to be able to really advise you.  For instance... what is the make and model of this computer.  Is this Windows 8 updated to 8.1, or Windows 8.1?

You can download a Windows 8.1 ISO image which can be used to created a bootable installation disc.  I have not bee able to find a download for the Windows 8 ISO.  

The difference in this application is the fact that the product key is tied to the version of Windows that was installed on this computer.

If this is a OEM version of Windows 8/8.1 you should have a System Recovery partition which you can use a F key to access and reinstall your version Windows 8/8.1.

I'll wait for your response before making any other suggestions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Campo1988

Campo1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:33 AM

Sorry for the late reply.

I am using a Samsung laptop on Windows 8, not 8.1 but 8. I had someone burn an installation/boot disc for me, which I thought would have worked, but I forgot nothing works properly when it comes to microsoft. Using 1 BIOS option, I can boot from the disc but my hard drive is locked; using another the drive is not locked but I can't boot from the disc.

Why do they make things to be so stupidly stupid?

I also decided to try installing it on a separate drive in the hopes of copying winlogon.exe and csrss.exe over to their correct locations (because the internet said this error causes those 2 files to chose to stop working after an update (I can't remember now if it had an "update" or not, though)) but for whatever reason unknown to me it decided that setup couldn't make the computer reboot into the next stage of the installation, and said to restart the installation which did nothing. It also didn't reboot/shutdown after that message; it just kept showing the same screen and not doing anything.

Thanks.

Edited by Campo1988, 01 July 2016 - 04:49 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:31 AM

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.  This will open the Elevated Command prompt.

Copy and paste the command below in the command prompt, then press Enter.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Restart the computer to complete the repair.

Edited by dc3, 01 July 2016 - 09:32 AM.

#11 Campo1988

Campo1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:11 PM

How many times do I have to say I can't get into windose 8 at all? Maybe I should put this into my signature.

...I can't get into it at all...

Please read my post. I can't get into the "operating" system at all. It keeps repeating...read my posts.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:59 AM

What is the model of this Samsung?

Computers with Windows 8/8.1 usually have a system recovery partition which you can use to format the C: drive and reinstall the operating system.  This will revert the operating system to the condition it was in when it came out of the box.

If you have data that you need to recovery you can use Linux distro like Ubuntu to access your files.

You can download a Ubuntu ISO image from here, you will need to burn this to a CD in order to make a bootable disc. 

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.  

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

The installation disc that was created for you, was this for Windows 8, not 8.1?

When you tried to use this disc did you change the boot order so that the optical drive is the first device in the boot order and the hdd/ssd the second device?

#13 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:52 PM

Hi

There is a way to force your computer to boot into Safe Mode:

1. Start your computer
2. When it starts booting, force shut-down

Keep doing this until you see this screen

c5e505c4-9e3c-4af9-8d0b-b984c1885b9c.jpg

Now, let it finish, and if it says it is unable to repair your computer, like this:

37134f84-423c-47dd-99cb-8d4b3337638f.jpg

Click Advanced OptionsStart-Up SettingsRestart

When this screen comes up, press f5 to go to Safe Mode

win10_safemode_13.png

Let us know if you can go to Safe Mode

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users